Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS was nice enough to give me two BFL's today after I gave them three of my bills.

Here are some initial pics, it's late so I didn't get a ride on them and I don't have a cassette on there yet but it looks like it may work. Rims are Vicious GFS 80mm.

And other pics compare BFL with regular Larry and Endo. BFL's are the clean, black, tire colored tires.

Attachments

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
So they work...awesome! Do you have any measurements? chainstay clearance?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, sorry for leaving ya hanging there. It was very late last night and I thought some of you guys would like to have a gander at these.

Tonight I'll get everything on, ride and report back.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: 1x9 fits, rides well

I was able to get about a half hour of riding time in on the BFL's tonight and they work well with my 1x9 pugsley. Traction was great and I noticed very little additional drag on the street. In fact, they really seem to roll relatively easily.

Sorry for the goofy pictures, I switched computers and seemed to have lost my editing software.

Attachments

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
Sweet! Now I know what size rim to go with for the snow!

·
Registered
20 Posts
So it looks like the only real modification needed would be the offset crankset if you wanted a 2x9 setup? I don't see any reason to believe that the chain is going to rub on the tire in 1x9 guise. I assume the GFS rims are standard Pugsley offset and there are no cassette mods?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, standard 17mm offset, no cassette mods, etc. It was a std. pugs and I just mounted the tires. BB is a TruVativ 145mm spindle.

Interestingly about the double, I have a small 22t ring that I manually put the chain into sometimes. Well, it slipped down into that gear last night and that worked fine, too. Unfortunately there are no post ride pictures showing that but I can snap you one. My big ring is a 34 I believe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Last night I got my first BFL and slapped it on my Pug. On a Large Marge, I was able to use the full range of my gears 3x9. I had a little bit of chain rub when in the small front ring and the large rear AND I was cranking hard up a steep hill. I get the same chain rub when I have an Endomorph on the rear. If I was just cruising along in that gear combo, the chain wasn't touching the tire. I checked the frame clearance with the BFL/Marge combo and I had about 22mm total (add both sides) between the tire and the stays. The BFL/Marge measured about 98mm at 15psi

I then moved the tire over to a Darryl the tire measured out about 5mm wider (103). I was already in the process of switching over to a 2x9 with a set of Mr Whirlys. I'll get the MWOD rings and would not be surprised if I can get a 2x9 to work on my Pug with a BFL/Darryl. If I have to drop down to a 2x8 or a 2x7, I'm fine with that as well.

Unfortunately, I only have a single picture from last night's session - a comparison of Larry/Marge next to a BFL/Darryl.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The BFLs won't get into the UK until the end of September, so all this is torture for us...

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Square Wheels - ask for Steve. He'll know what you're talking about.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,372 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Tnx !:thumbsup:
Can you also enlighten me on how much they will set me back ?
How's the pup by the way ?
No idea of the price. No doubt sufficient to make me suck my teeth when I have to hand over the money. But there's no other option, so it's a bargain. :)

Pup was half way to China last time I looked - large hole where our lawn used to be now looks like an open cut mine. Now weighs 28kg at 4 months.

·
R.I.P. Pugsley.
1,706 Posts
28kg and 4 months :eekster: That's going to be a big one..!
And in the past i heard many stories about how the chinese like dogs, be carefull..:)

I also didn't have a clou about the EU prices as well when i ordered them, so i guess it will be a surprise.
Oh well, it's a hobby.
And i can think of numerous other things i could spend the cash on, but this has to be one of the best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts