Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a bit out of the loop lately on the new tires. I've read a bunch of threads but haven't seen what I'm looking for.

Could someone post some side by side pics of Larrys and BFLs next to each other so I can see the diff? Preferably on the same width rims.

What is the diameter difference between the 2 tiers?

Also I just ordered a 120tpi wire bead Nate a few days ago but then just read that there is a kevlar bead version as well.

Someone said that in general kevlar only represents a 30 gram weight advantage but in my experience it can be a bit more. So does anyone know the actual weights of the 27 tpi, the 120tpi and the 120tpi kevlar Nates?

And I guess while we are at it the difference in weight of the Larry and BFL.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevlar beads are not released yet so...?

But the BFL is some 300 grams less than Nate. Pretty cool if you ask me.

my thread on BFL and pugsley has some side by side shots.
Advanced searched 'BFL and Pugsley', no pertinent results.

How about make it easy :) link or pics.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are those on different rims? I saw a BFL and a regular L both on Rolling Darryls the other day and was surprised at how little difference there was. The BFL was bigger for sure but not as much as you'd expect and nowhere as much as in this picture.
Yes they are but the width wasn't listed, just the names and I don't remember what it said. I assume the bfl is on a wider rim. Probably a 4"

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got my Nate yesterday and mounted it up.

I weighed the Larry coming off and the Nate before it went on. Both 120tpi

Larry 1400g
Nate 1460g

Not much considering the extra meat.

The Nate is 1/4 inch extra in overall width. But that is also at 12psi and the Larry on the front is at 9 psi. As many probably know the more pressure the bigger they get. The Nate was pretty out of round when I first aired it but but I left it overnight at 24psi and that seemed to help quite a bit, but even after one ride it's still a bit off. Has a dip and a jag. But not enough to feel while riding.

Nice tire but I don't know if it will fit on the front or not with the DUC32. The Larry rubs a bit at times on one side I see (but never felt or heard). Rolls a little slower but still better than a skinny 26er I am finding. On the dirt at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.