Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea if the kevlar bead tires are out yet? Looks like they'll cost $10 more than wire beads. Any advantage over wire bead other than weight, and how much weight will be saved?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kevlar versions aren't out yet - I think I saw an October date when I bought my wire bead models. I'm a bit bummed the price difference is only $10 and I bought the wire ones but I'm also very happy with my BFL's.

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
Typical weight saved is 75 grams per tire, but this can vary. $10 difference sounds a bit low compared to what is usually is but if $10, well, all the better.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Any idea if the kevlar bead tires are out yet? Looks like they'll cost $10 more than wire beads. Any advantage over wire bead other than weight, and how much weight will be saved?
The only real advantage is the folding bead tire is easier to ship, store and carry.

Typically the weight difference for a 26" tire, with identical spec except for the bead, is 30-40g. You may see greater range with some brands because they also use different casings on the wire and folding bead versions.

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
I mispoke earlier, What I meant to say is typically about 50g and up to 75g (ymmv). I've had tires, old school stuff, that have been 75g, but that is on the high-side.

The tires I currently have are about 45g diff. Also, a higher TPI can lower your weight by just as much as the bead or even more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts