Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday was a day off, so a friend and I went and explored the "secret trail" at RW. Gates to the park were of course locked, so we parked at the school.

Had a great ride until we hit the last bridge where there must be a wasp nest. I couldn't figure out why my buddy was throwing his bike down, until he yelled out that something was stinging him. Stupid me, crossed as well and got hit x3....... I'll be doing that ride again soon with a can of wasp spray in my pack. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah, watch out for those little bastards. Keep an eye out and avoid if possible any newly "churned" dirt. One time a dead tree fell in Kittatinny and the ground where the roots were was exposed (and the only line through there). Well, since the dirt was loose, those wasps made a home there. The first two people through there churned them up, and the followers got stung pretty badly.

One more thing -- you might want to add an epipen to the camelback gear in case anyone in your group is allegic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got stung on that exact same bridge 2 weeks ago on a ride w/ Mergs. We rode the loop once and it was fine. Went back to the parking lot to pick up a couple of stragglers and went back. I came down the hill and onto the bridge and freaked out when they attacked me. Drpped the bike and ran off the bridge. They swarmed over the bike and I had to run back down to retreive it. Everyone behind me took a wide loop around but here comes Mergs and rode right through it and didn't get strung once. Must have been all that body armour....bastard.
I ended up with 2 stings on my ankle so I was lucky. We might want to go back with some raid.

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
"BAN THE NEW JERSEY BEE HUNT!!!"
Their home is the woods, they were there first, etc etc.

I think you want to bring Benadryll for stings, not ibuprofin. Benadyll is an anti-histamine which helps with allergic swellings.

ps. Mergs doesn't get stung cause he is faster than the bees. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
The bees / wasps should be removed. It's just in a very bad place, someone could run off the bridge and get hurt in the panic over the bees. Or, if someone is allergic, this could have a lethal result.

One could argue that everyone who is allergic should carry an epipen, but there's always first-timers, etc.

PS: I crossed the bridge (albeit at a fast clip) a few weeks ago, and didn't get stung...but those things can grow quickly into a monstrosity.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Round Valley's Got 'em too

We encountered a yellow jackets' nest on Sunday coming clockwise around the resevoir a couple of miles in from the Cushetunk lot at the double log that is bridged with a bunch of rocks. The second log as you go up the rock pile appeared to have a nest on the left side.

Just be aware if you find yourself back there. I'm going to try and bring a can of Raid or something in the Camelbak if I get out there again anytime soon.

Mike

·
Registered
402 Posts
Got me too

Three weeks ago I endoed on the 6 bridges trial, just before the 6 bridge. Dislocated my thumb:eek: so I couldn't grip the handle bars to ride out.and had to walk across the 6TH bridge. I got hit twice by the bees as I walked across the bridge.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Have never seen bees at the bridge, but Saturday morning I got stung on the "plateau" on the race course climb over to Shephard's Pond.

I don't know what it was that stung me, but the stinger was stuck in my leg and it was white and looked like a little thorn. About an hour after the sting (just as I got back to my car), I started to itch and broke out into hives. I quickly went to CVS on skyline drive, got some Benadryl, then went to the hospital in case I was to go into anaphylactic shock. Thankfully, I didn't go into shock and the hospital gave me prescriptions for anti-histamines and steroids.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.