Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

I wanted to warn everyone.

I ordered a new Reba (Item number: 120307768054) from Doug (dana67301) at Xtreme Bike&Sport on ebay. Then I realized I ordred the 26" instead of the 29er model. I emailed Doug and he said he'd be happy to cancel it (as he wouldn't have the 29er for several weeks). Well, the charge is still on my Paypal account. I emailed Doug, and all he had to say is that it was shipped.

He couldn't even provide a UPS/FedEx tracking number.

I have saved all the email correspondence.

·
1,113 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Ebay terms state you buy what you bid on. SO if he was going to change for you.

It would be nice but not really required by terms and condition of ebay.

I almost ordered from him but found a better price at chain reaction cycles.

I did double check it was the proper fork and he did give a fast response.

Hope it works out for you.

FYI< If you don't get a fork you can get your $$ back via a paypal dispute.

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Playing devils advocate here...dude has good feedback and lots of it. Probably just a misunderstanding. He has over 300 auctions going right now. I know when I used to sell a lot of stuff on ebay it was hard to keep track of who I told what and sometimes I just plain forgot. Unfortunate? Yes. But really he's under no obligation to correct your mistake, though it would be a nice gesture. I'd try contacting him again and ask if he'd be willing to swap for the 29er fork.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=dana67301&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
agreed

jeffw-13 said:
Playing devils advocate here...dude has good feedback and lots of it. Probably just a misunderstanding. He has over 300 auctions going right now. I know when I used to sell a lot of stuff on ebay it was hard to keep track of who I told what and sometimes I just plain forgot. Unfortunate? Yes. But really he's under no obligation to correct your mistake, though it would be a nice gesture. I'd try contacting him again and ask if he'd be willing to swap for the 29er fork.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=dana67301&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller
I don't think he's a dishonest seller, just a bit over stretched to keep track of details. When you get the fork, I'm sure when you re-contact him, he'll likely give you a refund upon return of the item. It is annoying to you, the buyer, but as stated above, it was more a misunderstanding on your part, not a misrepresentation on his.

REEK

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well allow me to retort.

jeffw-13 & Reek; I cancelled the order the same day I placed it, so there really isn't anything to correct. Doug agreed to the cancellation and confirmed this via email.

Did I mention this has been going on since October 15th?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ebay is NOT mail-order. YOU complete the transaction by winning the auction, or pressing Buy It Now, and the obligation is on you to pay for whatever you just won. There is no "canceling" the order. I'm sure that's not something you were unaware of, but I see lots of threads on this forum where Ebayers think they're dealing with an LBS or mail-order house in a typical seller/buyer relationship - that is just not the case by the letter of the terms you agree to.

Now - the seller is under obligation to send you the item that you promised to purchase - that's his end of completing the transaction. If that hasn't happened - then now you have recourse with Ebay, Paypal, your Creditcard company, whatever.

It would be nice in a perfect world for the seller to agree to refund you for your mistake, or swap to thw 29er fork (plus whatever would be proper compensation for price difference in the product), but not required, regardless of what he might have said via email. The binding contract is still the one in the auction.

here's another tip if you're not already in the habit. Save every ebay email. Save every email transaction between yourself and any seller/buyer. When emailing them back about something they put in writing - make sure the body of that prior email is included in the one you send back to them (including the email headers). Seeing their own promise, they way they typed it, with a timestamp and To/From address, helps jog people's memories, and someone like this seller, probably handles a ton of email regarding auctions/product/payment etc. - Make his job easier, and he's more likely to help/remember.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.