Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I picked up some BB7's and "HS1" from a seller on eBay for $55.

What a great deal right?

Turns out the rotors are fakes. Myself and two other people on here have purchased these and I just thought I'd make a mention of it for anyone else in the market.

Here's the thread where I figured out mine are fakes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/rotors-striping-837598.html

The seller is "fibica_store" on eBay.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been following these threads due to the fact i also purchased HS1 rotors from ebay. I was suspect of the "genuineness" of my rotors so i sent an email to the seller, i received a quick response informing me that they are indeed genuine Avid rotors, manufactured in Taiwan for Giant. This particular seller told me they are a dealer for Giant and have access to bulk purchases and would send me photos showing the bulk packaging with the proper identifying markings. The above mentioned thread spoke about the uni-directional finishing of the fakes, my rotors are multi-directional, but have non-sharp laser etching. The seller told me to go ahead and use them until after the Chinese holiday and if i'm not satisfied they will kindly refund the purchase at that time. I have bought from this seller before and have not had any issues, I just wonder if they are legit in their answer or if i have fakes also.

The seller is "rockbros" on ebay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been following these threads due to the fact i also purchased HS1 rotors from ebay. I was suspect of the "genuineness" of my rotors so i sent an email to the seller, i received a quick response informing me that they are indeed genuine Avid rotors, manufactured in Taiwan for Giant. This particular seller told me they are a dealer for Giant and have access to bulk purchases and would send me photos showing the bulk packaging with the proper identifying markings. The above mentioned thread spoke about the uni-directional finishing of the fakes, my rotors are multi-directional, but have non-sharp laser etching. The seller told me to go ahead and use them until after the Chinese holiday and if i'm not satisfied they will kindly refund the purchase at that time. I have bought from this seller before and have not had any issues, I just wonder if they are legit in their answer or if i have fakes also.

The seller is "rockbros" on ebay.
You'll notice in the thread I posted, that my seller had no argument, and gave me the excuse that they have a new supplier that must be selling fake HS1's. They offered to refund me $24.99 for my troubles.

I'm still getting BB7's for $43 after the refund, but it's a dishonest practice. Your seller at least went through the trouble of giving you a legitimate explanation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I at least feel there is a chance my rotors are genuine Avids, like you said, at least i got an attempt to explain the situation. Like i said, I've bought from them before and everything seemed cool, either that or the fakes are getting better quality.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was considering buying BB7's from Rockbros until I saw this feedback on ebay dated Jun-27-13 15:18, "these are copies has no avid makings on disc"
AVID BB5 BB7 Elixir Disc Brake Rotor HS1 160mm 2pcs & Bolt (#400485202745)

I bought them from Jenson USA with a price match from pricepoint.com

·
Registered
258 Posts
After comparing my rotors to known genuine Avids I'm convinced my purchase from Rockbros was the real deal, it was 10 months ago though, just my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a set that I ordered (from them) for an upcoming project and that whole "too good to be true" thing got stuck in my head. I hope they are some sort of OEM set and that they will work well without any squealing or failure. I'm reading things about grinding patterns on the surface of the rotors, laser etching colors, and lastly I saw a set of those alibaba knock offs and I was thinking i d been scammed.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Anyone know if the calipers themselves are decent? I need an internals kit for some spare parts, and these sets are actually cheaper than the parts kits.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Definitely glad I found this thread - that same seller has HSX 180mm's with a (slick looking) red insert. I was tempted to go with them just for the color (because Art's only has the black inserts) but after reading this I believe I'll pass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hi guys, sorry to grave dig up this old thread. But i too came across the ebay listing for bb7 kit for $55 also. I have read other post that mentioned the BB7 (calipers only) are good for the price but the rotors aren't good.

So what's your guys experience with the bb7 few months into using the calipers?

thanks so much

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's a single end. The deals being discussed are for both front and rear. I just bought a set for my wife's bike that included speed dial 7 levers, rotors, front and rear calipers, pads and mounting hardware for $70 shipped to my door. I don't care if the rotors are fakes, they'll server her better than the Tektro Novellas that they replaced.

·
Super Moderator
6,781 Posts
Beware eBay........PERIOD

There are so many Chinese fakes on eBay - I no longer sell or shop there. These shops all pay their fees on time.....so eBay simply turns a blind eye to everything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There are so many Chinese fakes on eBay - I no longer sell or shop there. These shops all pay their fees on time.....so eBay simply turns a blind eye to everything.
I agree. That's very unfortunate for both companies and or buyer. I' too am replacing my tektros. Have any of you guys compared your calipers to other bb7 calipers, any sig difference in looks& performance

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
That's a single end. The deals being discussed are for both front and rear. I just bought a set for my wife's bike that included speed dial 7 levers, rotors, front and rear calipers, pads and mounting hardware for $70 shipped to my door. I don't care if the rotors are fakes, they'll server her better than the Tektro Novellas that they replaced.
Did your girlfriend pick these out? I'd rather buy real brakes for my wife.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts