Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now a few weeks from having a Waltworks 29er and am trying to figure out what to do about wheels.

I have a set of Phil Wood disc hubs laced to XM819 rim-brake rims. My original plan was to use the Phil hubs on the Waltworks, and reuse the rims on a budget-build singlespeed with an Eno eccentric, but I've been talked into getting a whole new 29er wheelset.

Before I buy a classified ad, I'm wondering what opinions are of selling the hubs as a wheelset or unlacing them and selling them alone. Hubs alone would be far easier to ship, and I could reuse the rims, however checking the classifieds there appears to be a much greater (for sale) market of wheels than hubs, and I'm worried the value of hubs alone just wouldn't be as high.

Is it obvious which to do? Alternatively I could post them as a wheelset with the offer to unlace for the hubs alone, though I'm not sure anyone would notice them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fatad said:
What wheelset have been talked into? My vote would be to buy new rims and lace up the old hubs. The average person will want a wheel set, since most don't want to build their own wheels.
240s with Centerlock on Stans rims. CL's to allow easy removal of the discs for travel (S&S coupled bike), and freehub to give a little more flexibility on changing gears for where I'll be going (trail or city streets) with better chainline adjustment.

Optimistically I could also run a White Industries Dos style 2x2 with a _much_ larger spread on the gearing if I had the ability to pick and choose the rear cogs.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LWright said:
If you have a use for the rims, keep em. in fact, why not use the phils on the same project the rims would be usefull on?
anywho, seems to me the hubs would have a good market aside from the rims.
I have a WI Eno Eccentric (flip-flop) that will use the same length spokes as the Phil Wood hub on the rear, so my idea for the "budget" singlespeed was to lace the new hub in using the old spokes (yes, I know some don't recommend it).

I could stick with the Phil on the front -- and probably would to start, at least since it is already laced -- or put a less expensive non-disc (which wouldn't be dished as the disc hub is) hub on to sell the hubs as a set, rather than individually.

I don't know that I need a "budget" singlespeed though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.