Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share with the mtbr community my new favorite way to slog out indoor trainer miles.

I've done the Sufferfest videos and get a great workout with them, but I get bored of all the pavement.

I found the Trail Trainer videos and love them. There aren't too many yet, but I think they're working on adding more. I bought them all after doing the free demo ride thing. The demo ride was only 10 minutes, but I could see from that that it was fun. I just wish I could ride some of those trails in real life.

www.trailtrainer.net

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Meh.

The sample on the site makes me think the narrator does not have a structured plan at all. More like trail scenery when you ride inside I guess. Kinda like what you would get from anyone who has a Go Pro.

Maybe I am missing something from the sample video.

Also, when you join MTBR and immediately post about a "great new product", we all assume you work for them ")

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm a long time lurker, but decided to join because I didn't really find anything about these videos on here and thought I'd contribute something finally. Usually I just read others' remarks and have little to add.

All the videos have a structured workout with a warm up, intervals, strength, ... etc. I read about them on utahmountainbiking.com. When they posted a positive review, I thought I'd test them out. My biggest complaint with them is that they currently only have trails in Utah. Someone from the company said they're working on other stuff though.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
1. Your name is Aliciaonabike

2. You are from Sandy,Utah

3. The owner of the company is named Alicia and is from Sandy, Utah.

Chris and Alicia Allen, Owners
PO Box 709472
Sandy, Utah, 84070-9472
801-835-7536
[email protected]

Why play dumb and lie? Just pay like the rest of the companies do for ad space.

If you believe you have a great product that we can benefit from, this is surely not the way to go about it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
1. Your name is Aliciaonabike

2. You are from Sandy,Utah

3. The owner of the company is named Alicia and is from Sandy, Utah.

Chris and Alicia Allen, Owners
PO Box 709472
Sandy, Utah, 84070-9472
801-835-7536
[email protected]

Why play dumb and lie? Just pay like the rest of the companies do for ad space.

If you believe you have a great product that we can benefit from, this is surely not the way to go about it.
Ouch.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I looked at the videos. My opinions:

1. I physically can't watch POV videos. they make me want to puke (as well as 3D video games; great problem to have.....saved all that wasted time).

2. Youtube has a plethora of great race videos (many in their entirety) from non-POV viewpoints, at no cost. That's my preference for a video trainer ride.

3. I also design my own training plans, which I like to follow to address my own strength and weaknesses. Many times these videos are the wrong workout at the wrong time.

4. Music is a tough thing to integrate. so many different taste for different people. it would be nice to shell for music rights to some good stuff.

But anyways, good luck with the business. Sufferfest seems to have the market cornered on this. But I don't buy those videos either. 90% of the time it's my own powermeter workouts with NPR on the radio, that way I actually learn something.

·
Ride More, Work Less
7,774 Posts
I bet there would have been a different reception if they had come out and said, hey, we want to do something different. What feedback do you have? They could have paid a few pennies to been listed as an ad. They could have garnered a few volunteers for testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's a great idea heyyall. We are just getting started and would love some critical feedback on our products. If you'd like to test out some of our videos, we'd be happy to have you PM us and arrange for a demo DVD to be sent to you. Would you like to test it out and give us feedback? We love our products and hope everyone else will too, but understand that they may not be for everyone.

·
Ride More, Work Less
7,774 Posts
^ here's some ideas: I'm in love with trainerroad and sufferfest. The integration with my trainer is outstanding. I also like the up beat music and no talking during the video. I actually stopped going to the cycle studio because the instructors talked the whole time (it was essentially required). Trainerroad has just come out with new mountain biking training plans (The New Mountain Bike Plans |), but they don't have videos to go along with them. Perhaps there could be a partnership where you would supply video footage that matches the training load.

As for demoing, I would give it a whirl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:thumbsup:Great thoughts! We agree with Poncharelli that music can be very subjective. Listen to the demo videos on our site or Youtube channel for an idea and let us know if that's what you think of as up-beat. All our workouts, whether DVD or digital, come with the option of having narration or turning it completely off. We also have subtitles on our products so you can mix and match for whatever suits you. As for Trainerroad, we love their stuff too and are working with them to build power profiles for all our products. Thanks for your thoughts and PM us to work out the demo details.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Redbull TV Replays

I will usually watch replays of the UCI XC races on Redbull TV while on my trainer. I will either load up a training routine on my garmin for intervals, zone work, or recovery. Or, i'll use the race coverage for my workout. I'll crank up the intensity when the coverage is on a climbing section. If the coverage is on a tech section, i'll stand up and mash. Flats and rolling downhill coverage is my spinning recovery. It passes the time and each race is about 1.5hrs

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
I will usually watch replays of the UCI XC races on Redbull TV while on my trainer. I will either load up a training routine on my garmin for intervals, zone work, or recovery. Or, i'll use the race coverage for my workout. I'll crank up the intensity when the coverage is on a climbing section. If the coverage is on a tech section, i'll stand up and mash. Flats and rolling downhill coverage is my spinning recovery. It passes the time and each race is about 1.5hrs
^^me too. Those races are great and the coverage is top notch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My thoughts after watching the video.

I really love the idea of using good POV footage for training purposes. I've told David who runs the Sufferfest several times that they should incorporate more MTB footage or do a dedicated MTB video. Alas, there isn't one yet.

That said I think you do a disservice to your videos by adding commentary, It's distracting and you sound bored as hell which makes me think the videos are boring. I don't want to hear you tell me to "ride over rocks" or "here comes a wall ride" while I'm indoors on a bike trainer.

Second, you need to have a good trainer help you devise plans for the videos with focus on different training principles. Taking the Sufferfest as the example, focus on cadence, power, RPE, and just keep it to training with non-roadie footage.

Third, don't try to trick the community, and get some better non-video game music for the videos.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shawnskee, Awesome thoughts! We really appreciate the constructive criticism from people like you. We found that in our beta testing, many people benefited from and liked the commentary, but we also found just as many people, especially experienced bikers, didn't want the commentary. That's why each of our products has the option to turn on or off the narration as you please. You can also turn on subtitles if you want the coaching without the voice.

As you point out, the POV footage has awesome potential for training purposes and adds to the engagement of the rides. We spent over a year working on getting the perfect angles and reducing shaky footage.

As for video structure, we have based all our workouts on the terrain of the trail, but also around sound training principles and methods (like RPE and cadence). We've gotten good feedback on the training structure from several experienced athletes. You won't be disappointed with the workout structures if you pick the right one for your needs.

As far as the music goes, it's impossible to please everyone, so we try to pick good music that is generally appealing to the population as a whole (which is tough!). If you don't like the music we picked, we encourage you to bump something from your own playlist.

I'm a mountain biker, not a marketer (as is evident ;)). I'm just learning the ropes here and appreciate the good feedback. All our products incorporate the elements you mentioned like RPE and cadence, but isn't obvious from our website and preview video. So we'll be working on updating that.

If you want to test our our videos, PM me and I can send you a copy of one. Thanks! We rely on people like you to help us make our products better and be something that people enjoy.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Sorry for the confusion earlier. I just wanted to help Trail Trainer out.
You are a co-owner. No confusion there. I truly wish you two luck in your endeavor.

Having said that, I don't appreciate the sneaky way it was introduced to us where you pretended to be a fan of the product and started the thread with the title "Better than Sufferfest"

Seriously?

You did this on another thread also.

I hope you understand.

Also, I am not totally sure how it works, but I think MTBR is against folks pushing their companies and products within the threads for free sorta thing. Not sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.