Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a good week without riding my SXT much and more of my hardrock, i decide to inspect it...boy, am i glad i did cause when inspecting the chainstay i found this. glad i found out now then later when it snaps. how do you think specialized will handle this, will they replace it, cause i've only been doing about 6ft drops to tranny. anyways i'm going to inpsect the rest of the bike later.

The crack begins at the top of the left chainstay all the way down the side where the wheel is.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
1. waht does this have to do with other peoples bikes snapping? its a cheep bike, it was gonna break sometime.

2. that doesnt even look like a chain stay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KevinM[Freerider] said:
1. waht does this have to do with other peoples bikes snapping? its a cheep bike, it was gonna break sometime.

2. that doesnt even look like a chain stay.
it's an sx trail and it wasn't cheap, and 2 it is the bar opposite to the chainstay.
has nothing to do with other peoples biking snapping, but it's a good idea to just look out for this stuff after some good riding.
 

·
crumb
Joined
·
890 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
1. waht does this have to do with other peoples bikes snapping? its a cheep bike, it was gonna break sometime.

2. that doesnt even look like a chain stay.
So quick to criticize.........
The sx trail is by no means a cheap bike
Its a good idea to check your bike often to make sure it wont fail when you need it
I think he'd know if it was a chian stay or not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
saviorself said:
So quick to criticize.........
The sx trail is by no means a cheap bike
Its a good idea to check your bike often to make sure it wont fail when you need it
I think he'd know if it was a chian stay or not
he meant the hardrock... he was mistaken.

sucks about that..... see if you can get an 06 frame.

and get rid of the hardrock and get a p2!! whoo!

that frame should not break with those little drops. look at darren barrecloth!!!

GET THAT SH!T WORRENTIED!!!! (sp?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JBsoxB said:
he meant the hardrock... he was mistaken.

sucks about that..... see if you can get an 06 frame.

and get rid of the hardrock and get a p2!! whoo!

that frame should not break with those little drops. look at darren barrecloth!!!

GET THAT SH!T WORRENTIED!!!! (sp?)
hardrock is my lighter bike getting me from a to be, also a beaton back up. don't want to blow money on a p2 cause i'm building a new computer and upgrading my sxt. i can't get an 06 sxt, even though i wish i could, cause it's only the chainstay, you can take that off and replace but if it was the main part of the frame, i could prolly maybe get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WATTO said:
didnt the sx trails have problems with there chain stays cracking and breaking. i know i have seen a couple with either cracks or breaks on the chain stay. maybe not
it's not really the chain stay, it's on opposite one. it's not chain run, but when it cracked, it took off paint. also this isn't the first broken one i;ve seen

here is a pic of the rear/mid end of the bike bike.
 

Attachments

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
freerider167 said:
after a good week without riding my SXT much and more of my hardrock, i decide to inspect it...boy, am i glad i did cause when inspecting the chainstay i found this. glad i found out now then later when it snaps. how do you think specialized will handle this, will they replace it, cause i've only been doing about 6ft drops to tranny. anyways i'm going to inpsect the rest of the bike later.

The crack begins at the top of the left chainstay all the way down the side where the wheel is.
o5 SXTs have been known to crack at the chainstay. Specialized will replace it with the o6 chainstay which is beefed up some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Ok dude...this morning the same thing happened to my buddy's bike when we were doin a shuttle. I rode it first, and it was fine. Later on when they went up a second time, since his other bike was broken he took the one i was ridin and he snapped that same stay opposite chain side.

It sucks really, but he raced downhill on it all last season. That's kinda wierd that this would happen now though
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
TenaciousT said:
Ok dude...this morning the same thing happened to my buddy's bike when we were doin a shuttle. I rode it first, and it was fine. Later on when they went up a second time, since his other bike was broken he took the one i was ridin and he snapped that same stay opposite chain side.

It sucks really, but he raced downhill on it all last season. That's kinda wierd that this would happen now though
Aluminum has a fatigue life. Over-fatigue it and it cracks or snaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TenaciousT said:
Ok dude...this morning the same thing happened to my buddy's bike when we were doin a shuttle. I rode it first, and it was fine. Later on when they went up a second time, since his other bike was broken he took the one i was ridin and he snapped that same stay opposite chain side.

It sucks really, but he raced downhill on it all last season. That's kinda wierd that this would happen now though
yeah, mine didn't snap though, i've been kidda beating on it not that much, but a week later after all the riding i felt like inspecting it. good thing i did though and good thing it didn't just snap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
im pretty suprised to see that. after having a DEMO for over a year, ive learnt how thick and stiff the rear linkages and bars are. they must be thinner on the Enduro series because i never suspected to see one of them snap or crack, if anything i expected the front triangle to give way long before one of they did...

then again the spot where it has cracked is rather thin. anyways props to stuffing your SX, i look forward to seeing your 2006 crash replacement or new parts. Specialized is pretty good with warrantys so they should take care of you well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BJ- said:
im pretty suprised to see that. after having a DEMO for over a year, ive learnt how thick and stiff the rear linkages and bars are. they must be thinner on the Enduro series because i never suspected to see one of them snap or crack, if anything i expected the front triangle to give way long before one of they did...

then again the spot where it has cracked is rather thin. anyways props to stuffing your SX, i look forward to seeing your 2006 crash replacement or new parts. Specialized is pretty good with warrantys so they should take care of you well...
i agree with you, i didn't think that would have snapped, but it is right where the weld is. I think they should recall on this piece of riders, cause i'm lucky i saw that, cause on monday i was going to go out riding again and hit that same drop i prolly cracked it on.once i get the bike back witht he new chainstay i'll take some snap shots of it,

also i'm planning on some new tire, got an recommendations? i'm thinking marz 2.3 or something else in a 2.3-2.4 size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
The 05 chainstay is a lot thinner on the lefthand side compared to the 06. Spec. should recall, since they have beefed it up for 06. I like the frame though, it's crazy stiff. Try Kenda Nevegal 2.3 or 2.5, STICK-E they're awesome.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top