Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been leaning towards an epic because I would use it for night rides on city streets in addition to XC trail riding. But since I'm not planning on racing it, I'm wondering if a Stumpjumper with rear lockout would work just as well or better.

Also, on the trail, how much difference would I find in climbing ability between the two?

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
walkman said:
I've been leaning towards an epic because I would use it for night rides on city streets in addition to XC trail riding. But since I'm not planning on racing it, I'm wondering if a Stumpjumper with rear lockout would work just as well or better.

Also, on the trail, how much difference would I find in climbing ability between the two?
Go with the Epic. I am assuming that when you say "rear lockout" your are talking about the brain shock, which comes on a SJ pro and above. They do not exhibit the same characterestic. Epic is more firm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant the SJ triad rear shock in "lockout" mode. I'm wondering if there's no need for a rear shock on the road, so the epic brain wouldn't be doing anything anyway.

The SJ Pro doesn't seem like it would be as good on the road since it can't be locked out, or set as firm as an epic.

·
Get Down Do you
584 Posts
walkman said:
I meant the SJ triad rear shock in "lockout" mode. I'm wondering if there's no need for a rear shock on the road, so the epic brain wouldn't be doing anything anyway.

The SJ Pro doesn't seem like it would be as good on the road since it can't be locked out, or set as firm as an epic.
I road ride my 05 SJ expert 120 alot more than I would like to admit and with the propedal set at max I never have an issue. The only time there is any bobbing action is when I get out of the seat to hammer which on the road is really never. On short steep ups in the single track it can be a problem but on the road never an issue. If anything my Front shock bounces more than my rear which I can clear easily by just dropping the front shock from 130mm to around 110mm,

The Epic on the other hand climbs like a mule even out of the saddle. You can hammer that baby all day long but I like my SJ better on the DH than the epic.

My 2cents

·
Registered
44 Posts
I road ride too!

I too, ride my 2004 Stumpjumper PRO on the road more often than I'd like to admit. At first I would lock out the Triad all the time, now I pretty much leave it on PRO PEDAL to soak up the bumps, I notice a lot less fatigue on longer ( 50 plus) mile rides. I am sending my shock into PUSH this winter and am getting rid of the lock out all together. The whole reason for having rear suspension is to absorb bumps, isn't it?
As for which bike climbs better, my friend has an Epic and I can climb as well as he can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They both climb like a mule...

walkman said:
Stumpjumper FSR: do you think you climb as well because the SJ is just as good at climbing, or because you're a better rider than your friend?
My friend with the EPIC is the better rider, I just feel both the SJ and the Epic climb equally as well. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but thats my opionion. We ride together all year long, from road rides in the spring, to single track and XC epic rides in the summer and fall. The only difference between the two bikes that I can see are rider ability, in other words both the SJ and the Epic are more capable than we are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Epic or SJ on the road

STUMPJUMPER FSR said:
My friend with the EPIC is the better rider, I just feel both the SJ and the Epic climb equally as well. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but thats my opionion. We ride together all year long, from road rides in the spring, to single track and XC epic rides in the summer and fall. The only difference between the two bikes that I can see are rider ability, in other words both the SJ and the Epic are more capable than we are.
Somehow, we got into climbing. :confused: I've ridden both, and the Epic is lighter, and if you get a lockout front shock like the Talas, you will swear you were riding a hardtail hardnose bike. The SJ is great downhill, no doubt. But if the question is on the road, go for the Epic. If its downhill, sure get a SJ. The SJ on the road is bouncy bouncy and you loose a lot of power on your downstroke.

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
blackadder1999 said:
Somehow, we got into climbing. :confused: I've ridden both, and the Epic is lighter, and if you get a lockout front shock like the Talas, you will swear you were riding a hardtail hardnose bike. The SJ is great downhill, no doubt. But if the question is on the road, go for the Epic. If its downhill, sure get a SJ. The SJ on the road is bouncy bouncy and you loose a lot of power on your downstroke.
Not right. I'm the proud owner of a 04 Stumpy Expert Disc (fully customized) with the Triad shock and my weekdays training loop is half road (uphill) and half trail (downhill) :). I can tell you that the lockout makes the rear of the bike as stiff as a hardtail. I sometimes go for out of the saddle sprints and there's no hint of movement. If you plan on using your Stump on and off-road, you're not gonna be disappointed, even though it's a little heavier than the Epic (depending, of course, on your set-up).

Jerome

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jerome said:
I can tell you that the lockout makes the rear of the bike as stiff as a hardtail. I sometimes go for out of the saddle sprints and there's no hint of movement. If you plan on using your Stump on and off-road, you're not gonna be disappointed
I agree. When the rear is locked-out, it is as stiff as a hardtail. I ride at 250lbs and I make frames cry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.