Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Noob here looking to get his first bike. I've been reading A TON on here and have learned a lot.

I'm in the $600-$700 and maybe can push more. I am looking for something that I can ride on dedicated trails here with some on-road.

Anyway in looking at the following two bikes, it seems the GT has WAY better components and is cheaper, sooo is the GT too good to be true? FYI, the Scott dealer is an easy ride from my house vs. the other shop which I would have to drive to.

GT Karakoram 2.0

GT Karakoram 2.0 29er Mountain Bike - 2013 - Save Up to 30% Off On Mountain Bikes

SCOTT Aspect 940 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Scott is $699 at local shop.

It seems like everyone really harps on having a minimum of deore so the GT just seems like the smarter play. How is the RockShox XC28 TK Mg?

Which is the better brand or is it down to components, the ride, or the LBS?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

FG12351

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd go with the GT myself. The XC28 is fine, entry level, but serviceable. It's a good price, because on line. You can alway get deals like that from an on line dealer, and Performance is a reputabile one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Between those two, I would go with the GT. Another option, although you won't be able to test ride one, is Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

For the money, you're getting much better components than either of the bikes you listed and their right next door to you in Ohio.
I'd take the GT with Shimano over the Airborne with Sram. At a higher price point, Sram stands up well against Shimano, but in the lower teirs, it's hard to beat Shimano.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've got a Karakoram 3.0 on closeout and it was a great deal. Go ride both and see which one feels better, and don't rule out deals online for the GT.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
certain components have a large factor in ride. eg, Fork and Tires undisputed affect on ur ride.

we post the marin deals they are currently the best deal components + ride / $ for a new bike. That marin comes with a recon silver, x-king 2.2", wtb silverado, elixir 1 hydraulics.. Better riding fork then the other posts here.

even that $480 ebay marin comes with a raidon which a lot nicer fork then the two bikes ops looking at.

they just can't be beat.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Not to get into too much specifics, as I really don't keep up to date when it comes to the millions of component and frame choices out there, particularly at the lower end of things where there isn't all that much difference performance wise IME, but as far as the importance of ride (which in my mind is mainly about frame choice) vs componentry, ride is far and away more important to me. Getting a frame that fits, functions well and is designed for the type of riding you like to do most, as well as your particular riding style, is the key to happiness much moreso than whether you get an SLX vs an XTR derailleur.

Case in point - you'd be hard pressed to find any components in my pile of bikes above XT/X7 level. No fancy wheels, only one dropper post, no carbon or ti bits of any sort, lots of stuff bought used or on clearance, or traded for beer and repairs, etc. But frame wise, I have Intense and Turner DH frames, an Ibis Mojo, a few Sinisters (a Shenanigan, and both a Splinter and a DNA handmade by Frank the Welder himself), local one-offs from Wraith and Aztech, as well as an assortment of other decent bikes that aren't quite as fancy, but still wouldn't be considered 'value' by any means. Most of these are hung with hand-me-down, used, and leftover parts. I would far rather ride a really nice frame with an SLX build than a meh frame with full XTR. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for nice welds and bikes designed and fabricated by real riders more than I am for a shopping list some bean counter threw together.

None of this really applies that much to entry level new bikes I suppose, and not everyone is lucky enough to get the pricing hook-ups I somehow end up with, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the input! I am going to look at the GT today and let you know my thoughts.

Is the Karakoram frame solid enough to upgrade with new components over time?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks all for the input! I am going to look at the GT today and let you know my thoughts.

Is the Karakoram frame solid enough to upgrade with new components over time?
I've upgraded my Karakoram with a Fox fork, Mavic wheels, and Avid brakes and it feels great and made the bike ride even better. It's not a light weight frame, but then again I think many of the frames in that price point are going to be similar weight if that matters to you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sooo...I didn't make it over to Performance, I was on the other side of town (by my house) and stopped by the Scott dealer.

My friend who has a Giant Anthem that's 27.5 told me to check out a 27.5....and so I rode a Scott Aspect 740...and I think I liked it! I felt like it turned better and didn't feel nearly as BIG as the 29er (I rode the 940 today as well)...soo now I may go in that direction, it just feels better to me.

So...is a Scott Aspect 740 a good place to start?

SCOTT Aspect 740 Bike - SCOTT Sports

I am going to swing by the Giant dealer and ride one of these as well:

Talon 27.5 4 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Same price...the fork on the Scott is a Suntour XCM HLO which looks marginally better than the XCT MLO on the Giant but the Giant is Alivio RD and Altus FD and the Scott is Acera RD and Altus FD.

Where would you put your money? I guess I am asking more about the frames and what is a better platform to upgrade.

Thanks for all the help guys!

-FG12351

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I don't know anything about those particular bikes, but I'm a huge fan of smaller wheels myself. I think if more people tried different wheel sizes, less people would ride 29ers.

Reactions: whoda*huck

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Not to get into too much specifics, as I really don't keep up to date when it comes to the millions of component and frame choices out there, particularly at the lower end of things where there isn't all that much difference performance wise IME, but as far as the importance of ride (which in my mind is mainly about frame choice) vs componentry, ride is far and away more important to me.
You not make recommendations if you don't know about anything but high end componentry. I can see where your opinion of frame over components comes from. There is a huge difference between a bottom end coil xc28 fork and a mid tier air fork like the raidon.

Same price...the fork on the Scott is a Suntour XCM HLO which looks marginally better than the XCT MLO on the Giant but the Giant is Alivio RD and Altus FD and the Scott is Acera RD and Altus FD.

Where would you put your money? I guess I am asking more about the frames and what is a better platform to upgrade
Or you can buy one of the marin bikes recommend. raidon equipped marins regularly sell for $600 shipped on ebay. The raidon is 3 tiers higher than the xct and 2 tiers higher then the xcm.

in suntrou xct < xcm < xcr < raidon < epicon < axon

And before someone makes an ignorant comment that suntours are all low end and the same. The axon is a multiple world cup and world championship winning fork.

wheel size depends on rider height imho. If you're 5'8"+, only then would i even consider 29ers.
26ers are regularly considered more fun to ride then 29ers by those who own both. (see threads here)
27.5 is the newest format, which also means it's the coolest new thing right now. It's also tends to net you the least bike/$ because you're paying to be an early adopter

currently, there are more 29ers hardtails in pro XC racing; evidence that they are probably faster. However, still 26ers and 27.5" that are getting podium finishes.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
You not make recommendations if you don't know about anything but high end componentry. I can see where your opinion of frame over components comes from. There is a huge difference between a bottom end coil xc28 fork and a mid tier air fork like the raidon.
Not for nothing, but I'd be shocked if you had even close to 5% of the hands-on experience with lower and mid level parts that I do, both from a building and a riding-them-into-submission angle. It's one thing to regurgitate spec lists, internet reviews, and marketing mumbo-jumbo, and a totally different thing to have actually put miles and wrenches on hundreds of different parts and bikes over a few decades.

For example, I've easily gone through 50+ rear derailleurs of assorted levels just on my own bikes, plus scores of others I've dealt with on bikes I've either worked on or built up from scratch for people, many of them revived from hand me down donations, the dump, or the side of the road. Same goes for all most of the other bits too. I haven't been doing as much of that the past few years, which is why I shy away from making very product specific recommendations right now, as unless I've got personal experience with something I don't tend to make too many assumptions based on things like marketing copy. I'll venture to say that it's pretty likely I've got a lot better idea of what a 'huge' difference in performance actually is than someone whose experience is limited to a small selection of lower level componentry, sales pitches, and internet reviews though. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it! I am going to go ride the Giant Talon this week. I am going to ride the 29" and 27.5" to see how they feel. I've read alot of positive reviews on the Giant Talon 27.5 4 which is encouraging. I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
14,066 Posts
If possible ride in and out of ditches and on grass and bumpier areas than a parking lot for a little more relevant info.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If possible ride in and out of ditches and on grass and bumpier areas than a parking lot for a little more relevant info.
+1. This.

For me at least, I can tell nothing about how a bike will perform on trails etc when I ride it in the parking lot. If you can, try and do a longer demo, taking in some of the types of conditions you will ride in.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Hey all,

Noob here looking to get his first bike. I've been reading A TON on here and have learned a lot.

I'm in the $600-$700 and maybe can push more. I am looking for something that I can ride on dedicated trails here with some on-road.

Anyway in looking at the following two bikes, it seems the GT has WAY better components and is cheaper, sooo is the GT too good to be true? FYI, the Scott dealer is an easy ride from my house vs. the other shop which I would have to drive to.

GT Karakoram 2.0

GT Karakoram 2.0 29er Mountain Bike - 2013 - Save Up to 30% Off On Mountain Bikes

SCOTT Aspect 940 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Scott is $699 at local shop.

It seems like everyone really harps on having a minimum of deore so the GT just seems like the smarter play. How is the RockShox XC28 TK Mg?

Which is the better brand or is it down to components, the ride, or the LBS?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

FG12351
That GT isn't too good to be true, it is just a last years model discounted to move.
It is still a $999 bike.

GT makes good solid bikes that seem to fall through the cracks a little when it comes to recognition. This allows for some pretty good discounts on them to be found. I love my Sensor 9r and after a year of hard riding...and crashing it hadn't let me down. For what I paid for mine, I would have never found a better bike.

Hands down between the two you listed, I would get the GT.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts