Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JHG1989
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! For those of you that have ridden both wich do you consider to be a better climber? I really enjoy the downhills but where i live the way up is usually really steep long climbs so would like a bike that makes me suffer the less possible. Let me know your opionions! I am deciding between 2019 carbon sentinel or patrol

cheers

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I would say their climbing abilities are similar enough it should not be used as a determining factor. Do you want 27.5 or 29 wheels? Or mixed wheels, because apparently that’s the cool thing to do now.

·
JHG1989
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like both wheel sizes, I think I can adapt to either. In the bikemag review of the patrol they seem to says its a very versatile bike even saying it might be kind of a trail bike. I haven’t heard that from any sentinel review yet..

·
Registered
247 Posts
I own a Sentinel but have also ridden the SBG Patrol. Both climb well, but the Sentinel has bigger wheels, which brings some small advantages (I'm 6'3" so sizing is part of it).

I previously owned a 2015 Patrol, and the SBG bikes (patrol and sentinel) climb better than that 2015 bike.

Also, I spent an hour at a demo day on a SC Megatower this past weekend, and it was clear from the start that the Sentinel is a noticeably better climber than the Mega (that's off track, but might be a useful data point).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would have thought the Sentinel was definitely more "trail" than the Patrol? But people seem to think otherwise? Thats a surprise to me. I opted for the Patrol as I had a 27.5 build kit from my old bike, but was thinking a Sentinel would probably match my riding better at the moment. Surprised to hear that people think the Sentinel is less of a trail bike.

FWIW, my Patrol climbs damn well. Very happy with it for longer rides.

·
EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
953 Posts
It really depends on if you want a 29er or not. I run 2.8/2.6 on my Patrol, so I get the added monster trucking ability along with the added travel. You can't go wrong with either bike.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I would have thought the Sentinel was definitely more "trail" than the Patrol? But people seem to think otherwise? Thats a surprise to me. I opted for the Patrol as I had a 27.5 build kit from my old bike, but was thinking a Sentinel would probably match my riding better at the moment. Surprised to hear that people think the Sentinel is less of a trail bike.

FWIW, my Patrol climbs damn well. Very happy with it for longer rides.
Sentinel is not a trail bike. My 2019 carbon weights 35.6 lbs and likes to smash steep rough DH's more than any bike I've owned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.