Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Both are good bikes. Any opinions will probably be primarily dur to different preferences, riding style, and the terrain ridden.

That said, if you're getting an '07 HIfi make sure they install the updated suspension linkage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Better Bike

You probably do not need another choice, but I have been riding a Titus Racer X 29er foro three years and I have gone from 290 lbs down to 265 and still losing. The bike has held up great. I am looking forward to getting down to your weight.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Big parts mean no broken parts

Hi there, I like the photo of that aluminum can you were riding. I am a clyesdale too and my thought is that We are already big, so who cares how much the bike weighs??

I would run a coil oil shock rather than an air shock,
I would run an all mountain bike with a heavy, burlier build than an xc bike.

light bike = Broken parts = Bike that is a xc sculpture rather than a bike.

I weigh 267 and ride a kona coiler.

I have replaced the cranks, a front rim, a rear rim, seat and a derailer, all from pilot error and flat landings. I have replaced each broken part with a burlier all mtn or free ride part and have not had any problems, yet. I will let you know how the bike is after my up coming trip to mammoth mtns bike park.

cheers!

Ibmilo

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
I ride an EX7 and it has held up very well so far. I am heavier than you and put it through some good abuse. It has a lowish leverage ratio for a trail bike and the air shock should be fine.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Im 232lbs on a Rip 9 XL frame...I crushed my rear Stans Flow Rim...Mavik didnt hold up either...Im now running a Sun Ryno Lite 700 with a DT swiss 340 hub...its rocking so far...going through, over, into and landing on rocks and ledges...Im not gracefull...
I had a Jamis Dakota 29 HT...good enough to start but you may get tired of feeling every rock on the trail.

My Rip 9 is a great bike...big wheels work as advertised...
More rear suspension would be NICE...I always bottom it out and yes it is adjusted for the riding Im doing...My Manitou Minute 120mm fork is a great fork but it flexs under agressive braking...I should have got the T/A...oh well.
Try the Lenz Behmoth..its a burly ride...however you may sacrifice other perfomance characteristics for the beef.
Turner makes a solid 29 product...BONUS: Turner STANDS BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.