Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a karate monkey which will be my main mountain bike and I'm setting up my ogre for an all around bike which will be for but not limited to single track,M.U.P,road,gravel/granite,grass,and general urban riding. mainly want to use it for longer rides exploring back roads and hobo trails and some light bike packing.

right now I'm running hans dampf tires in 29x2.3 so I'm looking for something with better/lower rolling resistance but that will still give me some grip.
the wheels i am currently running are stan's flow ex rims with hope pro 2 evo hubs so I'm not sure if there is a minimum tire width i would need to run could i run a 700x35/40/45? or should i stay around the 29x2.0 range?
also i would prefer to run them tubeless like i am set up now but it is not a deal breaker.

so far i have been steered toward the following
1.wtb nano
2. Clement XC LVX 29

any other options you guys recommend i should look at
i don't mind paying 60-70 dollars a tire if it is a good tire.

also i know no one tire is going to do it all but if i can get close it would be great

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Going from HD to a 2.0 is going to be a pretty big change, its unlikely that you'll find that level of grip.

Nanos are tried and true. One of the most popular tires on tour divide so it can be surmised that 1) its durable 2) it performs okay in a varies of conditions.

If you aren't hitting too much wet stuff, Geax Saguaros roll well and get pretty decent grip. Conti Race Kings are pretty good on hardpack, but I won't trust trust them in loose. Crossmarks are good too

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
understood, i will be holding on to the hd's for when i need that extra grip for the rough stuff. i appreciate the suggestions on the other tires and will definitely give them a look and see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
521 Posts
For an extended use tire for parks, paved bike paths and all single track in between (beater bike) I buy the cheapest wire WTB Nanos as they have a hard compound and wear long on paved and gravel surfaces yet still have a great tread when you need to climb dirt hills on trails etc. The continuous center line rolls awesome in a straight line.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just found a set of cheap all though a little dusty from sitting on the shelf nano's today at the L.B.S . i did a small 8 mile ride which included some road/concrete, a M.U.P,and some light chunky single track so far they are working great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts