Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my linkage, but I don't have a manual. Can anyone explain which mounting hole is which (travel and headangle) using a stock 6.0X1.25 Fox Float

I've emailed BETD a few times, but no reply and I can't wait.

This is for the 01-03 FSR XC linkage. Thanks!

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
mattsavage said:
I finally got my linkage, but I don't have a manual. Can anyone explain which mounting hole is which (travel and headangle) using a stock 6.0X1.25 Fox Float

I've emailed BETD a few times, but no reply and I can't wait.

This is for the 01-03 FSR XC linkage. Thanks!
I believe this is what you looking for.

Attachments

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They aren't cheap...

The price varies any where from $180-200, depending on Exchange rates. I ordered one a couple months ago, but it never arrived because I forgot to put in the expiration date of my card on the order form, so the order sat there never getin processed. They had issues with the form on their end cause they didn't know there was a pending sale and on my end because it never alerted me the form wasn't properly filled out. So, it just sat there even though I had a confrimation number. Supposedly the issue is fixed. Long story short... I cancelled the order. Not because of bad service, they're actually good guys, I just found one elsewhere.

....Anyway, I bought one off a guy here on MTBR a couple weeks ago. I gave him a fair price for it, $140. He got a deal.

Opinions.....? I'm still trying to work out the bugs. With the stock 6.0X1.25 shock, you pretty much can't use the 120mm setting, just way too much leverage on the shock requiring about 50% more air pressure than the stock set up (stock pressure being approximately equal to body weight). The shock ramps up way too much, too quickly. Anything less and it gets about 50% sag and bobs like (insert simile here).

The 100mm settings work fine, requiring only about 10% more air pressure. It's not much more travel than stock, but you have the change in BB and head angle which is nice. But I didn't buy it for that, I want more travel!

So I tried a 6.5X1.5 stroke shock. In the 120mm setting, it requires about 30%
more pressure than stock to get about 30% sag. You just have to spin smoothly and not hammer out of the sadle. You actually get a little more travel than suggested due to the longer stroke, about 130mm, thus I ran a little more sag, (30% vs. 20%).

I haven't measured how much travel I get in the shorter setting with the longer shock, but I'm anticipating about 115mm. It feels really nice. I run about 10% more air pressure again, and get a decent amount of travel.

I have a Romic I wanted to use, but I can't install it because the springs hit the linkage. Since Vanilla's come stock on the lower end models, I have a feeling thats the way to go. I think they have a slightly narrower spring diameter. Maybe a Push'd Vanilla is the answer. I'll probably try that in a couple months. I'm going to have this 6.5X1.5 Float Push'd soon and put an AVA sleeve on it, see what happens then.

I'm running a Z1 FR up front, so it had a pretty slack head angle. But it feels pretty dope with all this travel compared to the stock set up and a crappy Axel fork. I think I'm going to switch it up to a Vanilla fork soon, though. The Z1 is a little too tall and heavy.

This isn't actually my bike, I bought it for my girlfriend. She outgrew the stock set up, but I couldn't afford an 03 Enduro Pro frame. It would have had to been an 03 Enduro Pro because they are the only Specialized frames that came in white (with the exception of the Rock Hopper), and the bike has to be white, Damn it!

So, here's how I'd do it now if I knew better. Buy the linkage, and splurge for a new Fox RP3. Nearly coil quality travel, but the weight of an air shock!

Ooooohhhh, maybe I should try a Swinger........?! Or a 5th Element??!!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have a BETD link (about to sell it)

I got one for Christmas and it is mounted on a 03 Stumpy - great quality and extra BB height is very helpful on the stumpy which IMO is way too low - it has worked perfectly - However, I am selling it to help pay for a new frame (probably a 5 spot). PM me if interested. If you want to keep the bike a quick handler I would recommend a fox fork over a zoke (particularly a Z1 FR) due to the lower A-C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bet D

wilks said:
I got one for Christmas and it is mounted on a 03 Stumpy - great quality and extra BB height is very helpful on the stumpy which IMO is way too low - it has worked perfectly - However, I am selling it to help pay for a new frame (probably a 5 spot). PM me if interested. If you want to keep the bike a quick handler I would recommend a fox fork over a zoke (particularly a Z1 FR) due to the lower A-C.
How much are you selling the Bet D for and is it in good condition?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.