Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My Wife and I are going to be in the Bay area for about ten days towards the end of January. The Wife is going to attend some training session for a few days and then we are on our own. Since it's frozen and snow covered here in western Colorado we thought we might like to ride a mtb trail or two. We'll not be bringing our bikes so info on trails and shops to rent a bike from would be helpful. We ride almost daily during the season in the Fruita, Co area and appreciate good single track.

Thanks,

Beanman

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C>

We are staying in Albany but once the training is done we plan to be mobile enough to go where we need to go. It really would depend on where the better trails are, we would likely go to that area for riding.

Cheers,

BeanMan

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
There are many options

BeanMan said:
C>

We are staying in Albany but once the training is done we plan to be mobile enough to go where we need to go. It really would depend on where the better trails are, we would likely go to that area for riding.

Cheers,

BeanMan
IMO, the best trail riding in the area is Annadel in Santa Rosa if you like general trail riding with some techy puzzles to ride. Soquel Demonstration Forrest in the south bay if you like your trails steeper with more air.

Chime up on a the boards here with your plans. I'll bet you can find folks to ride with... who might even have spare bikes.

I live in Oakland, not far from Albany. I have access to my wife's small hardtail stumpjumper, and I have a large 29er hardtail geared bike and a 29er singlespeed bike.

I probably won't be able to get out at the end of the month, since my wife has a baby to pop right about then.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
Having just gone to Fruita for the 1st time this last spring, I'd have to say our trails here are much more XC oriented - so just be prepared for that. Let us know if you're OK with a day of riding some nice singletrack in some beautiful areas - we've got lots of that... if you're looking for some more technical uphills and downhills and/or steep downhills - there's a few places for that.

Anadel is a nice area with lots of fast singletrack. Sure - there's a few tails that are rocky - but if you're bombing the Lunch Loops area regularly, you might be bored if you're expecting a day full of technical riding.

Skeggs is also a nice and flowy set of what passes for "singletrack" around here - but its also a lot of up-and-down, so check back here for a suggested route so that you're not bombing down the fireroad and climbing singletrack - unless that's what you like ;)

Soquel Demonstration Forest ("Demo") here is the South Bay between San Jose and Santa Cruz has some steeper singletrack with some jumps and tricks here and there. Nearby in Santa Cruz is Wilder Ranch, which has some fun singletrack with ocean views... and if you can get a local to show you around that area, you'll be shown a special world.

As far as rentals - I believe Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose and Passion Trail Bikes on the Peninsula will demo out bikes. I think Roaring Mouse in SF does too.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
BeanMan said:
Greetings,

My Wife and I are going to be in the Bay area for about ten days towards the end of January. The Wife is going to attend some training session for a few days and then we are on our own. Since it's frozen and snow covered here in western Colorado we thought we might like to ride a mtb trail or two. We'll not be bringing our bikes so info on trails and shops to rent a bike from would be helpful. We ride almost daily during the season in the Fruita, Co area and appreciate good single track.

Thanks,

Beanman
Hi, have you had a chance to look at the "Visitors-Local riding advice" at the top to this page? You will find some useful info there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great information. Rolling XC sounds like a lot of fun, especially for our legs which haven't been riding for while.

Loll,

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't seen it. As a matter of act it's quite well hidden up there with the advertisements, perhaps as a sticky I would have seen it.

Cheers,

Bean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.