Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now the only ones I know of are Kelso (obviously), and some along the Credit River area.

What are your favourite trails in the GTA/Oakville area?
Any obscure/hidden ones?

I spent most of last summer scouting for some, but wasn't too successful.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hwy5 at bronte creek has some trails. Although someone was hurt there a while back so they might be gone now.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Dover said:
Hwy5 at bronte creek has some trails. Although someone was hurt there a while back so they might be gone now.
Both north and south of hwy 5 at Bronte creek has trails. They are maintained sporadically by users over the summer, so ride with caution.

·
Registered
369 Posts
norwish said:
Right now the only ones I know of are Kelso (obviously), and some along the Credit River area.

What are your favourite trails in the GTA/Oakville area?
Any obscure/hidden ones?

I spent most of last summer scouting for some, but wasn't too successful.
You might want to invest in "Ridel Mel's - Longer & Thicker - Guide to Ontario MTB Trails." It'll be the best $20 you've spent for your bike. It has all the major trails in the GTA, plus rates them by degree of difficulty. Plus, it gives driving and trail directions.

1. Albion Hills - maintained and colour coded single & double track. Great fun!
2. Bayview/Stouffville Sideroad - trails hidden in forested area - DJ pit in the middle.
3. McMichael Art Gallery - there are some trails behind McMichael Art Gallery in Woodbridge. Mostly single & double track - not too technical but blew a tire last time i was there.
4. Don Valley Trails - urban paved bike paths from North York to downtown TO.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I can't wait to check out some of those. The Bayview one sounds interesting. And Bronte and Hwy 5 is pretty close by; that'll probably be one of the first I try.

Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
norwish said:
Wow, I can't wait to check out some of those. The Bayview one sounds interesting. And Bronte and Hwy 5 is pretty close by; that'll probably be one of the first I try.

Thanks!
We should link up for a group ride...once weather permits and if we remember by then lol, but i can get up to 4 other riders together...two other for sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
norwish said:
The Bayview one sounds interesting.
The Bayview/Stoufville trail is OK, was in there a couple of times last summer and found that it zigs and zags all over and isn't maintained very well. Make sure you bring some bug repellent when you go (or wear a full-body bug net), the mosquitos in there are absolutely brutal...Ravenshoe isn't far from there and IMO is a far better trail to rip on.

·
Registered
819 Posts
tdotrider said:
The Bayview/Stoufville trail is OK, was in there a couple of times last summer and found that it zigs and zags all over and isn't maintained very well. Make sure you bring some bug repellent when you go (or wear a full-body bug net), the mosquitos in there are absolutely brutal...Ravenshoe isn't far from there and IMO is a far better trail to rip on.
Haven't ridden Bayview and Stoufville in a few years, but I am wondering where the technical sections are because I remember a lot of it being pretty smooth trails.

·
Registered
653 Posts
what are the trails at kelso like? is it all mostly flat?

Where would likely be the best place for fast paced, rolly, semi technical to technical trails?, spots with decent stretches of descent (not without a climb!), that kind of thing? Basically watered down downhill haha?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Where would likely be the best place for fast paced, rolly, semi technical to technical trails?, spots with decent stretches of descent (not without a climb!), that kind of thing? Basically watered down downhill haha?
Kelso would be a pretty decent for what you're talking about as it's fairly flat and quite technical in spots up on top of the hill, but also has some nice downhill trails.

The problem is, once you're down at the bottom, you have to climb back up the hill (unless you have someone meet you at the bottom with the car :p)

To do this, you have to drive to the upper gatehouse and go from there. The directions should be on their website here: http://www.hrca.on.ca/ShowCategory.cfm?subCatID=1226 .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Braids said:
Haven't ridden Bayview and Stoufville in a few years, but I am wondering where the technical sections are because I remember a lot of it being pretty smooth trails.
You're right, it is more smooth than technical...not sure where the technical came from. I think i was thinking more demanding than technical as there are some climbs that are not so much fun. At least with hard climbs on other trails, you'll be rewarded with a descent that lasts more than 15 seconds ie Albion Hills.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
toyota kawasaki said:

My two favourite places to ride in Southern Ontario are the Hydrocut in Kitchener and Puslinch in... Puslinch. A great way to spend a Summer Saturday is to hit Hydrocut in the morning, break for lunch and do Puslinch in the afternoon (then BBQ and drink beer :D ).

The Hydrocut is a really buff and flowy chunk of single track that features one of the most entertaining (but maybe a little short) nearby downhill runs - the Kamikaze. Puslinch is tighter and more technical and it features some of the most challenging punchy climbs around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
819 Posts
toyota kawasaki said:

Coulson's Hill may be a good suggestion, but it's not really technical. If you ride it properly you can get longish descents with some short climbs back to the top. i.e. Criss-cross the descents, but climb straight back up to the top. I think it would be a stretch to call it watered down downhill though. I like the single track there, and I wish there was more of it there.

Ravenshoe is another suggestion. I hate it, but other people love it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2_WD said:
4. Don Valley Trails - urban paved bike paths from North York to downtown TO.
Eh? What about the real Don trails. They certrainly are not paved, and are probably some of the best all around mountain biking trails in the area. From good XC, to plenty of built up features and some rather large drops.

·
Registered
369 Posts
tommyeflight89 said:
Eh? What about the real Don trails. They certrainly are not paved, and are probably some of the best all around mountain biking trails in the area. From good XC, to plenty of built up features and some rather large drops.
Let me know where they are, i'd like to check them out! Unless, you're talking about the little single-track off-shoots you see riding the paved trail. If so. they're really nothing to write home about (the one's i've ridden anyways) but it sounds like there's something i'm missing here.
Please elaborate...:thumbsup:

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Wow, you're in for a MAJOR surprise (in a way I'm kinda envious). Start at the parking lot at the base of Pottery Road. There's a sign there that will get you on your way. There's a lot more there than just what's on the sign too. Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
2_WD said:
Let me know where they are, i'd like to check them out!
Missing out bigtime! the singletrack is split into a few sections. One of them, formally called Crothers Woods, can be accessed from either the parking lot Bayview & Pottery Rd or from the parking lot of Loblaws (on Redway). That's a great place to start. Another longer section can be accessed from the parking lot behind the big apartments off Overlea (entrance to ET Seton park) and that trail goes north, splits into two wicked trails and then dumps you back onto the paved Don trail.

The Don is my favourite local trail because it's a great mix of everything AND it's a short drive away (unless it's rush hour)...

·
Registered
369 Posts
tdotrider said:
Missing out bigtime! the singletrack is split into a few sections. One of them, formally called Crothers Woods, can be accessed from either the parking lot Bayview & Pottery Rd or from the parking lot of Loblaws (on Redway). That's a great place to start. Another longer section can be accessed from the parking lot behind the big apartments off Overlea (entrance to ET Seton park) and that trail goes north, splits into two wicked trails and then dumps you back onto the paved Don trail.

The Don is my favourite local trail because it's a great mix of everything AND it's a short drive away (unless it's rush hour)...
Thanks guys, it looks like i've got some hidden gems to find this summer :thumbsup:
Anyone interested in a group ride? Or a tag-along?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts