Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
what xc tires perform best in getting through sand pits and climbing short steep hills through loamy, soft soil? I've been riding Kenda Karmas for the past month and they're great except they seem to get real sketchy and uncertain in deep sand....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I second the Hutch Spider and will also throw the Hutch Alligator gold in there. Had a lot of luck with the gator in south florida.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
The Blue Groove 2.1 works great also, I have found the Python Airlight to be fine too. It just takes a little getting used to at first, but I have had good success.

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
I second the Mutanos

cmv96 said:
2.4? Isn't that a bit large for xc? what do those suckers weigh?
Those suckers only weigh 575 grams and they're the best front tire I've found for the powdery sand in So Cal. My favorite XC combo for sandy conditions is the 2.4 Mutano up front and a 2.1 WTB Epicwolf in the back. I still don't fully understand WTB's numbering system. These two tires are essentially the same size and weight.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trevor! said:
The Blue Groove 2.1 works great also, I have found the Python Airlight to be fine too. It just takes a little getting used to at first, but I have had good success.
What takes getting used to? Please elaborate.....

Stan himself rides the Python Airlight. I'm thinking of trying them. How do you like them on soft, loamy soils for climbing? Cornering?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like the 1.8 Fire XC Pro

It cuts through sand like nothing provided you pedal sitting down and in the right gear...

·
Registered
205 Posts
My vote is for the python golds. I use them in all conditions except for mud. They corner good in sand and hardpack and I don't find I lose any grip while climbing loamy, rooty or rocky singletrack.

·
..probably out riding..
182 Posts
cmv96 said:
hey everyone,
what xc tires perform best in getting through sand pits and climbing short steep hills through loamy, soft soil? I've been riding Kenda Karmas for the past month and they're great except they seem to get real sketchy and uncertain in deep sand....
more float, stronger legs, wider tires

I've been running IRC mythos xc, they're cheap, durable, corner well and work the best in sand of any tire I've used in a long time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HillbillyBiker said:

I've been running IRC mythos xc, they're cheap, durable, corner well and work the best in sand of any tire I've used in a long time.
what sizes do you use f/r? what part of the world do you ride in? do they work well with Stan's NT?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HillbillyBiker said:

Hilly,
What size do you recommend? 2.1 or 1.95? How do the tires actually measure?

·
..probably out riding..
182 Posts
2.1, they seem to be a little on the narrow side. I didn't like them much at first but now that their broken in, the only complaint I have is the rolling resistance is a little high, but what can ya do. I can ride through sand that would have stopped me before, maybe it's stronger legs, maybe it's technique, maybe it's the tires, but I definately notice a difference since I put those on. They track well and corner well too. Doing well in sand often depends on choosing the right line and having good balance and technique, but I relly think these tires are helping out.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Another 2.4 mutano vote, great floater and with the center line ridge they track excellent in the sand. For a rear tire I like the 2.14 mutano, it bites OK but also tracks excellent which I feel is most important riding thru deep sand with my XC rig.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts