Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this type of question evokes all sorts of opinions but...

Here's the deal. I've been mt biking off and on since 1985. I still ride my Ritchey Commando which I got back in 1987. I paid $1,200 for it back then. Well it's time to finaly move on.

I'm old school. I'm 200lbs. I don't race. I'm not into hairball downhill - though I do go down some very steep hills. I'd prefer a hardtail because most of my riding involves steep climbing and I don't want to deal with the extra mechanical aspect of rear suspension. I might entertain a front disk only if it's mechanical (what do you do if oil leaks on the trail...). Other than that, I'm open.

I've been looking at the GT Avalanche Expert so far. I did run across that Klein is still around though owned by Trek. I'd really like to find one of those to try as Klein reminds me of times past when Ibis, Cunningham, Ritchey, Gary Fisher, and other "boutique"builders were the norm in this sport. But I digress... <g>

Any takers?

--
Bill

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
wmalan said:

Here's the deal. I've been mt biking off and on since 1985. I still ride my Ritchey Commando which I got back in 1987. I paid $1,200 for it back then. Well it's time to finaly move on.

I'm old school. I'm 200lbs. I don't race. I'm not into hairball downhill - though I do go down some very steep hills. I'd prefer a hardtail because most of my riding involves steep climbing and I don't want to deal with the extra mechanical aspect of rear suspension. I might entertain a front disk only if it's mechanical (what do you do if oil leaks on the trail...). Other than that, I'm open.

I've been looking at the GT Avalanche Expert so far. I did run across that Klein is still around though owned by Trek. I'd really like to find one of those to try as Klein reminds me of times past when Ibis, Cunningham, Ritchey, Gary Fisher, and other "boutique"builders were the norm in this sport. But I digress... <g>

Any takers?

--
Bill
Forget your worries about hydro brakes. Lets get that out on the table. I have been on teh same set of Hayes Mag discs for 4.5 years, in temps from -20 (Alaska) to 105 (Vegas, baby!) Crashes, shuttle runs, 1/2 hour DH runs, 24 hr XC races, the whole bit.

Klein is currently on Death Row. (I hate to say it.)

GT has been through a couple of re-organizations/company sales in the last few years, but they are on the comeback trail.

At your price range, you are going to get one sweet hardtail. Look at the Cannondale F-600 and F-800, the Specialized Stumpjumper disc (yes, S is still making Stumpy's! They rock.)

Most of the current breed of hardtails in the upper price range will do what you want. Go test ride some, and find a good shop.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of great choices!

Thanks all for the ideas! Now I have some direction! It seems that just over the $1000.00 price point there is some real quality to be had with the hardtails.

Cannondale F800 - lots of front travel. Nice fat frame!
Stumpjumper - sure has changed since I last looked at them. Nice.
Trek - looks a little tame (just by the picture on the net...). I'm sure a ride is in order!
Kona - Has a look along the lines of the Cannondale. Thanks for picking this model. Their web site is not user friendly for searching. Very "boutique" looking (which I like).

Either way, It's time to pedal a few of these beasts around to see. I made a quick comparison sheet of components to see who gives the best bang for the buck.

If you guys think of any others pass it on!

--
Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Giant XTC

There are several models of the XTC around your price point. I rode many hard tails in the fall while shopping for a new ride. Ended up with the base XTC for a variety of reasons and I could not be happier. Great bike that is certainly worth a look.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
heres a few...

the jamis dakota xc and voodoo wanga, both steel hardtails with quality builds. the geometry of both bikes is decidedly xc, which is what you seem to be looking for. the ride quality of these 2 will be very hard to beat, trust me. you couls spend more and get less very easily. the soma groove is another well made steel frame that you could build up into a killer xc bike, but id look at the first 2 first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
steel is the real deal!

Going on 6 years since I went to a steel hardtail. And I would never even consider riding anything else. I liked it so much I sold my Cdale road bike which was fast! And went to a Lemond Poprad to do road and cx duty another awesome steel bike for a good price.I ride an IF deluxe and everytime I ride this bike I love it even more then the day I bought it. You cannot go wrong with steel.

·
ground hugger
136 Posts
wmalan said:

Any takers?

--
Bill
As a former pre-trek klein rider, I feel your pain.

Try Fetish Cycles D&S (triple butted columbus zonal tubing, sub 3 lb frame). The craftmanship these guys are doing is beautiful.

I bought mine on ebay cheap, ($200) and plan to buid it up with a group from adrenaline bikes. all sizes on ebay right now (no one bidding)

check out thier website and fan club.

Buy one of these frames while they are still relatively unknown.

·
loco
246 Posts
Rm Steel

mizunole said:
As a former pre-trek klein rider, I feel your pain.

Try Fetish Cycles D&S (triple butted columbus zonal tubing, sub 3 lb frame). The craftmanship these guys are doing is beautiful.

I bought mine on ebay cheap, ($200) and plan to buid it up with a group from adrenaline bikes. all sizes on ebay right now (no one bidding)

check out thier website and fan club.

Buy one of these frames while they are still relatively unknown.
The Rocky Mountain Blizzard Steel Hardtail is so sweet!

·
Registered
660 Posts
konacoffee said:
The Rocky Mountain Blizzard Steel Hardtail is so sweet!
I must agree.

I have a 2004 Blizzard, I'm 200 lbs. and I run a front mechanical disk and a rear rim brake. The bike climbs well and feels (steel) excellent. I bought the frame and swapped some parts from my old aluminum hardtail.

I'm not sure of the complete bike price, although you can get a frame for $599.00 online (I did a quick check on google).

Attachments

·
loco
246 Posts
rmb said:
I must agree.

I have a 2004 Blizzard, I'm 200 lbs. and I run a front mechanical disk and a rear rim brake. The bike climbs well and feels (steel) excellent. I bought the frame and swapped some parts from my old aluminum hardtail.

I'm not sure of the complete bike price, although you can get a frame for $599.00 online (I did a quick check on google).
Nice Blizzard man. Are you sure that's an 04 because it looks just like mine which is a 2005 20th anniversary. I had a Kona Caldera which was totally awesome too, but this blizzard just rides so so nice.

·
Registered
660 Posts
konacoffee said:
Nice Blizzard man. Are you sure that's an 04 because it looks just like mine which is a 2005 20th anniversary. I had a Kona Caldera which was totally awesome too, but this blizzard just rides so so nice.
Yes it is an 04; I actually bought it on closeout in 2005. I am about to buy a Kona 2-9 frame and swap some parts from my el cheapo singlespeed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.