Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After building up my new bike (a DH/freeride bike) I have come to the conclusion that it is an absolute tank and wouldn’t be a whole lot of fun taking it on XC/trail rides. I could get away with it on my old bike (an AC) but I think it’s out of the question for this thing…so I’m looking at buying an inexpensive bike for use on XC and trail rides.

If you had $1K to spend on a hardtail XC bike what would you get? My only real requirements are that it has disk brakes (that actually work) and that it reasonably light (I have a big heavy bike already…I don’t need another one). Also, I’m not loyal to any brand whatsoever. Can those of you out there give me some suggestions or links? I’m a little out of my element here….

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Check out www.bikesdirect.com. A friend of mine bought a Motobecane fro $995.00 complete. The bike came spec'd pretty good with Revelation front fork, Avid BB5 mech disc brakes. The only funky thing was that it had the new XTR rear derailleur mated with Deore shifters and front derailleur. But it seems to be a good buy.Everything is working as it should.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking around on the bikesdirect and Ibex sites it appears that a full suspension bike might not be out of the question....I kind of figured that they would be. Taking that into consideration, let me just say that I'm NOT married to the idea of a hardtail....I just want something that will make climbing not such a nightmare....

·
Registered
15 Posts
the giant alias is definately the best 1 k you can spend. at 995 dollars it is dirt cheap featuring aluxx alloy fluid formed frame, sram x7 drivechain, rock shox dart 2 w/lockout and hayes sole hydraulic disk brakes.

go for it!

·
Registered
739 Posts
jeb4 said:
After looking around on the bikesdirect and Ibex sites it appears that a full suspension bike might not be out of the question....I kind of figured that they would be. Taking that into consideration, let me just say that I'm NOT married to the idea of a hardtail....I just want something that will make climbing not such a nightmare....
I'd recommend an IBEX FS bike over a MOTO FS bike any day. There are only several moto's I'd recommend and they are the Fly Pro, Fly 9357, and Fly TEAM. They are extremely light, fast, but have weak, but light wheel sets.

For Everything else Mountain bike related, I'd get IBEX. Now the Ibex Trophy Comp X7 is an extremely good bike for $700, sporting the NEW sram x.7 ( which are very similar to the 2006 sram x.9)! Also the Ibex ASTA comp x7 is a good FS bike for a grand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.