Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been asked. I raced in the 24 hours of nine mile this past weekend and after 9 laps of 14 miles each on my Superfly my back took a little beating. I demoed the Evolve for a lap after the race and I just could not think that this would be a good bike for XC racing. I know that the bike was probably not perfectly set up for me but I did not like how it rode. So what is considered to be the best 29er FS bike?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
Narrowing the list down to bikes that you can get right now, the JET9 works pretty well. There's some discussion about the life expectancy of the frame in the Niner forum right now, but it does a good job for its intended use.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Lenz Leviathan, Ellsworth Evolve, and the Ventana El Rey are other < 100mm travel frames that are fairly light.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Right now, depending on budget, if it were me looking for an XC oriented FS race rig I'd be looking at the LENZ Lev 3.0", PIVOT Mach429, TITUS RacerX 29 or Intense Spider - FYI the RacerXs are on sale all over the place right now for about $1k. If I had serious cash to blow I might consider the SuperFly 100.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I also tooled with the idea of throwing a thudbuster on the superfly only for these type of races.

Totally different discussion but is the back pain after 50 miles or more just me no working on my core when working out? I see these guys doing the 24 hour solos on hard tails so I wonder if it is just me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
A bunch of bikes mentioned here do not have "nimble" geometries. Eliminate all of those unless you have no tight singletrack. The frame should be light and quicker to turn, and a shorter wheelbase helps too if it's really tight on tree-lined trails. At the moment, the only bike I've ridden that fits the bill is the Jet9. You can also opt for one size smaller if you can make it work for racing. I've tried that. Even though I'm betting the new SuperFly 100 won't steer as quickly as the Jet9 (I've owned the current SuperFly) the 660g or so the SF100 frame will save over the Jet9 should make up for it. But...none of us have ridden the SF100 yet so it's hard to tell. Looking at the SF100 frame geometry compared to the Jet9 I think they will respond similarly but I think the SF100 will also be stiffer in the rear. The new Epic 29er is a shot but early reports show that frame to be as heavy or heavier than the Jet9.

BTW the Thudbuster DOES work on the SuperFly.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry, right now, WAY too many frames breaking, in way to many different places on the JET9s, that's why I dind't even mention it - I wouldn't even buy one if I was offered one at wholesale.

stratmosphere said:
A bunch of bikes mentioned here do not have "nimble" geometries. Eliminate all of those unless you have no tight singletrack. The frame should be light and quicker to turn, and a shorter wheelbase helps too if it's really tight on tree-lined trails. At the moment, the only bike I've ridden that fits the bill is the Jet9. You can also opt for one size smaller if you can make it work for racing. I've tried that. Even though I'm betting the new SuperFly 100 won't steer as quickly as the Jet9 (I've owned the current SuperFly) the 660g or so the SF100 frame will save over the Jet9 should make up for it. But...none of us have ridden the SF100 yet so it's hard to tell. Looking at the SF100 frame geometry compared to the Jet9 I think they will respond similarly but I think the SF100 will also be stiffer in the rear. The new Epic 29er is a shot but early reports show that frame to be as heavy or heavier than the Jet9.

BTW the Thudbuster DOES work on the SuperFly.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
LyNx said:
Sorry, right now, WAY too many frames breaking, in way to many different places on the JET9s, that's why I dind't even mention it - I wouldn't even buy one if I was offered one at wholesale.
Perhaps a 2010 Jet9 redesign is on the horizon.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I heard that new Jet9 will sport 100 rear suspension and will have tapered head tube 1,5" Even Hardtails have that. There will also be a carbon version like 2 kgs so Tallboy and Superfly will have a tough time to compete. Niner will get an OEM fork from fox with carbon steerer tube. Similar things will be on Rip9 which will get 130mm in the rear to stack up against Spec enduro machines ofcourse carbon version as well as forks' steerer tubes. Oh I heard they will never break, never! Stay tuned.

·
Shift less, Pedal more.
521 Posts
In October there will be a 29er version of the Specialized Epic that looks sweet. I would caution on Niner because of all the frames breaking, and they only have a 2 year warranty on their frames. Moots, Titus, and Gary have some nice 29ers too!

·
Registered
931 Posts
LyNx said:
LyNX...my friend. Say it ain't so. I've said before and it obviously needs repeating. Unless you have sales numbers to compare one frame to another, you can not make any meaningful comparisons to their breakage rates. It is totally irrelevant. There are tons of Niners in every race I've done this year. By far the most of any brand 29er. The top race team in our area, 918XC, is made up of Cat 1 racers and they all ride Kermit green Jet9's.

Like you said before, the Jet 9 is a XC race bike...period. You and I both know people buy those because they are a bit lighter and a bit less $$, then treat it like it was a RIP. Heck, I've seen pictures of a guy on these boards that is probably a Clyde doing 4 foot drops on a Jet asking if it was too much.:madman:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts