Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear everyone's opinion as to the best XC disc brake available and why you think so. I know I can read the mtbr reviews and other sources but I want to hear from riders that use the equipment in our conditions.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
SSAZ69 said:
I would like to hear everyone's opinion as to the best XC disc brake available and why you think so. I know I can read the mtbr reviews and other sources but I want to hear from riders that use the equipment in our conditions.
Disc brakes suck.
these brakes are the best:

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,812 Posts
SSAZ69 said:
Most companies make pretty decent disc brakes these days. The only exceptions in my experience are Avid and Hayes. Quality and construction is always so-so with these two in my experience. They just don't get the refinement and engineering that the others do. Shimano, Magura, Formula, Hope,- those should all be solid choices.

·
lifer
52 Posts
SS,
I'm a huge fan of the hope mini. billet calipers & lever body's..... very smooth and powerful and don't squeal like a banshee when they a bit of dust on them. I run them on my titus racer x and a salsa bandito. Ride On VikeAz

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
vikeaz said:
SS,
I'm a huge fan of the hope mini. billet calipers & lever body's..... very smooth and powerful and don't squeal like a banshee when they a bit of dust on them. I run them on my titus racer x and a salsa bandito. Ride On VikeAz
:thumbsup: Hope Mini X2 Pros ... they modulate better than any i have tried. smooth, powerful, and nice looking.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
A timely question as I'll be buying some new ones also. I ran the Avid Ultimates for 3 years and only had to rebuild the piston about a month ago. Quiet, strong and light. Unfortunately, they don't hold up to fire very well.

I've always heard the XT works very well and is not as finicky as XTR.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The Best?

Why do you need/feel entitled to the BEST? If I had the answer to your quest, I would want to know that you were worthy of such wisdom.

Prove yourself before the mighty power of the internet!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
ggnarl said:
Why do you need/feel entitled to the BEST? If I had the answer to your quest, I would want to know that you were worthy of such wisdom.

Prove yourself before the mighty power of the internet!
Most people probably realize these are just preferences from people with limited experience. That, and discussion forums are made for polarizing opinions and arguments. Forums would be pretty boring without them.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Most people probably realize these are just preferences from people with limited experience. That, and discussion forums are made for polarizing opinions and arguments. Forums would be pretty boring without them.
How do you know that all the people that replied have limited experience? Some people may have all of the brakes mentioned above with a lot of experience with multiple sets of each one listed...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I can say that if you need to know how a part worked ask Tom. The guy is a virtual used bike shop. Whenever I say I would "like to try ..." he always has one to test out. Usually more than one.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
All the brakes listed above are not comprehensive, but I imagine there are some around here who have tried and worked on pretty near all brakes. Even then their experience is limited ... and colored by their preferences. It doesn't take long to see that gear choices are highly a matter of individual preference.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.