Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my Rock Shox monarch RL have given up on me. It requires service, almost for the price of a new one. Just below 200 Euro. Haven't had it serviced before.

Instead looking for a new one from Rock Shox or Fox, the latter preferred.

Any recommendations? I found the one used on the 2019 Scalpel Si HI-mod models, but it costs like a fortune, sadly more than I am ready to pay. https://www.bike24.com/p2334213.html

The DT Swiss 313 Carbon looks cool, but cannot get service on that one in Sweden.

Budget 200-400 Euro if it is possible to get anything decent for that money within Europe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manitou McLeod. Very user tune-able .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read some about that one. Does it require lots of maintenance and service?

And how does it perform in comparison with the high-end suspension shocks? Like, what do I gain from spending twice the money >500 ?

It surely looks like a good alternative! The Monarch RL have done me well, but it surely isn't that amazing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Read some about that one. Does it require lots of maintenance and service?

And how does it perform in comparison with the high-end suspension shocks? Like, what do I gain from spending twice the money >500 ?

It surely looks like a good alternative! The Monarch RL have done me well, but it surely isn't that amazing.
one and worse downside of mcleod is you have to reset negative chamber ocassionally (lets say every 3-6 month). Thats mean take out shock, unscrew air can, clean, lube and thread in. If you are ok with that, go for it :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
one and worse downside of mcleod is you have to reset negative chamber ocassionally (lets say every 3-6 month). Thats mean take out shock, unscrew air can, clean, lube and thread in. If you are ok with that, go for it :)
It really only needs it about as often as you should be servicing the air can, anyway. Two or three times a year seems about right for me. It's yet to really need the reset, but better to be proactive. It really doesn't have any maintenance or service issues, but it is a little different than a RS or FOX. It's a significant improvement in performance for me, and that seems to be a common sentiment. I like it enough that I already bought another one for my new bike that hasn't even shipped yet.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The Mcleod is a great little shock and a great deal. The only two issues are the air can - which should be lubed and reset every 4-6 months to keep the negative spring good and the eyelet bushings. In the past, fox 5-piece reducers worked but those seem to be too loose now. If you buy a Mcleod, just order from a good dealer and have them first try the Fox bushing or install Manitou ones.

I personally ordered my shock from Dirt Merchant and would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
In the past, fox 5-piece reducers worked but those seem to be too loose now. If you buy a Mcleod, just order from a good dealer and have them first try the Fox bushing or install Manitou ones.
The McLeod will come with bushings already installed and he is replacing a Rock Shox, there is a good chance it will bolt right in no problem with the stock hardware. My most recent McLeod was a perfect fit for a Rock Shox hardware kit right out of the box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.