Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an EC70 wide carbon bar right now thats 685mm new but cut down to about 670mm. I've always loved the feel of wider bars for 29ers so im actually looking to go a bit wider on my 25lb Tallboy so it needs to be carbon.

I know Ive seen a Niner flat top carbon bar at 710mm, but what are some other options above 700mm in carbon?

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So glad I asked!

I never would have known about these 3T bars if I had not started searching and found other threads on the 3T's Thanks Guys!

A whopping 740mm of light carbon with 12 degree sweep!! Very nice :thumbsup:

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3T's concept of the x-axis must be different from mine if they contend that's flat... That looks like a compound bow.
0 degree rise. Not really any other way to define something as flat... :skep:

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much do those weigh?
They have two kind of carbon extendos a Team and LTD

This one is the LTD - highest end/lightest one they make, a claimed 185 g at full length

It feels to me the same as my 670mm Easton EC70. I dont have a gram scale but will weigh them both side by side as comparison.

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick Update. LTD is 185grams at 740mm length. 30g more than my easton EC70 at 670mm

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I never would have known about these 3T bars if I had not started searching and found other threads on the 3T's Thanks Guys!

A whopping 740mm of light carbon with 12 degree sweep!! Very nice :thumbsup:
something looks odd with that bar, looks like a riser bar, either that or its like 40 degree sweep. i couldnt run it just based on looks.

·
~Reformed Mechanic~
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It has rise, that's my point...

Okay guys... Lets do a little Bike 101...

Handle bars have "Rise" and "Sweep". One Rises up and the other Sweeps back. The extendo is a 12 degree sweep, 0 degree rise, which means its flat. Most bars in its range are 9 degrees but 12 is not unheard of. Once its on the bike 12 degrees doesn't seem like a lot.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Okay guys... Lets do a little Bike 101...

Handle bars have "Rise" and "Sweep". One Rises up and the other Sweeps back. The extendo is a 12 degree sweep, 0 degree rise, which means its flat. Most bars in its range are 9 degrees but 12 is not unheard of. Once its on the bike 12 degrees doesn't seem like a lot.

I'm looking at the bar on your bike and I see a radius angling upwards. Flat would mean that the bar did not rise from a horizontal plane (or that it was parallel to the ground). That bar has both rise and sweep. I'd say at least 5 degrees upsweep from the angle of the pic you posted. I don't care what the package says, alot of tires are claimed at 2.1" on the package and actually measure about 47mm wide.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm looking at the bar on your bike and I see a radius angling upwards. Flat would mean that the bar did not rise from a horizontal plane (or that it was parallel to the ground). That bar has both rise and sweep. I'd say at least 5 degrees upsweep from the angle of the pic you posted. I don't care what the package says, alot of tires are claimed at 2.1" on the package and actually measure about 47mm wide.
why would you not use either a 3t stem, or a ritchey bar. i dont understand why you wouldnt match these components, doesnt make any sense to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.