1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i weigh 145 dry
06 SJ FSR comp (juicy5)
doing XC collegiate racing

trying to make my bike faster for about $750 retail, so is this the best way? i'm getting a seatpost / stem / handlebar from thompson later this month, so those don't count (sponsor)

ideas?

i'm thinking spinergy xyclone disc is the way to go, but is there anything tubeless that is lighter than the xyclones with bontrager x-lite tubes?

anyone

thanks

MIKE

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I got the FSA XC300 wheel set for about $400. The weight is just a bit more than XTR wheels. I just came from 3 days of Downieville, and the wheels held up fine. I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Call Dave Thomas

If you want the best wheels out there, check out Dave Thomas' Speed Dream Wheels. He'll custom build you a set of wheels for $600-$800. I just ordered some from him based on the reveiws on this site. 4.9 out of 5 with well over 100 reviews... you can't go wrong. The wheels he's building me are supposed to weigh about 1480 grams for the set (disk). It takes a week or two to receive them, and I don't have them yet to really judge, but my expectations are high.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Handbuilt custom wheels are in that price range. Dave is a good option as is Joe young. However, we also have some great wheelbuilders on this site- Larry at mtnhighcyclery builds great wheels. I've heard the same about Chad at Redbarnbicycles. Larry built mine and they have been solid and true. Handbuilt wheels will be much stronger and more durable as well as consist of each component you pick- rims, hubs, spokes, nipples. They can also be built as heavy or light as you wish.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As others have said-Dave Thomas is universally lauded and worth considering.

Personally-I'm going to Plug this years (2006) American Classic 350 MTB Disc Wheels.

I know in past years there were some serious hub issues (and poor sidewall issues with rim brake models)--but I've used these 1500 gram disc wheels all season and they roll fast, feel stiff, held true, etc--great wheels and they run about 500.00-lighter than their competitors, and as far as I'm concerned-just as good in overall performance. I like that they use a traditional, reliable 32 spoke design (I weighed these in the shop 1504 Grams on the nose).

Though-I would opt for 2006 models only as they've addressed the rear hub issues.

Dave Thomas is a fan of American Classic Hubs as well--should mean something

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Dave Thomas is the way to go...

Yup, Dave is definitely the guy to call. At the beginning of this season, I received my second wheelset from him and it is just amazing. Came in at 1427grams total, and consists of a Tune rear hub with titanium sprockets, AM Classic front hub (old reliable style), wheelsmith spokes, and Stan's Olympic Disc (under 347gr) rims.

I've been incredibly happy with both wheelsets he's built for me.

Other builders to consider are Larry at (shop name escapes me right now :rolleyes: ; his username here is ventanarama), Chad at Red Barn Bicycles, and Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com. I've heard that Ligero Wheels builds some really nice wheelsets also.

Hope this helps!!

:cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can build my own wheelset without a problem, i've done it before and i have plenty of resourses at hand (truing stand / all spoke lengths in DT black)

so what hoops and hubs then, im staying away from american classic hubs even if they fixed issues.

something 1/2 the weight of XTR is proabaly too light to function.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.