Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
I was poking around on ebay, and didn't see BXT seatposts for cheap like they used to be, but Tideace had one that looked the same for $23, so I ordered one. About 2 weeks later it showed up, and it looks identical to the BXTs I have on both my kid's bikes (which have been great). I suspect that BXT and Tideace might be related... Anyway, this one in 27.2 is 191g on my scale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27-2-31-6m...var=690400453950&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The only thing I worry about in that scenario is that Tideace (these names kill me!), is using the BXT molds outside of BXT's process and QA. (That said, I'm not familiar with BXT, so can't speak to their reliability either.)

I guess my point is that eBay carbon is pretty risky. Seatposts and saddles probably not too bad, but bars and stems would freak me out.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I don't see any reason to get no-name stems, it's hard to get cheaper and lighter than an Uno, but I have used BXT carbon road bars for well over a year, I did put some adequate time on BXT mtb bars, with zero reliability issues. I consider Tideace and BXT to be among the 'reputable' sources (your mileage may vary...), 2 racer friends have raced Tideace hardtail frames. My kid has BXT seatposts on the road bike and his bxt carbon hardtail (big kid, 6'5" but only about 165 pounds), zero issues on those. I've got $20 carbon rail seats on my 3 best bikes, zero issues on those too (I've posted about those quite a ways above), those are still my favorite seats.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I would have to agree that tideace and BXT are the "gold standard" of China parts. I am 230-250lbs and have been on both companies bars, stems and seatposts for over 4 years now with no issues. I ride a lot of rigid single speed so they take a beating. To each their own when it comes to buying this stuff but there is no real validity to the fear mongering that I see from people posts. There are just too many people with these items and no one brakes them at any higher rate than name brand stuff.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
I have no horse in this race, and people are free to choose and buy as they wish. In fact, my only carbon part failure was from a ridiculously high-end carbon saddle (although wasn't technically rated for MTB), while an eBay saddle I bought years ago (with limited use) is still intact.

That said, part of what we are paying for with known brands is quality control and sound design, and this is reinforced through (potential) litigation of the manufacturer/importer, especially if in the US. On the other hand, one-off eBay brands may be better, the same, or worse than their name brand counterparts - we have no way of knowing. There is also not the same "threat" if something goes wrong.

The other thing no one has considered is counterfeiting, even of eBay brands. Even if you've found brand "ABC" to work well for you, are you certain your next purchase of "ABC" is the actual product?

Lastly, a lot of eBay carbon has no weight limits posted, nor any torque specs listed. That surely should be a red flag, regardless of how you feel about eBay carbon in general.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I just ordered this Alibaba Al starnut to go on a new build I'm working on.
In other ads it's listed at 6.9g.
Going off memory that's about 9g less than a standard star nut.
Pretty poor value for weight savings but I like that it can be easily adjusted or removed if you are in to that sort of thing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Totally a pile of crap. Avoid!

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
To my point above I'd be a bit concerned about a non-branded star nut rated for road use (unless it is for a road bike).

(Is the steerer carbon?)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
To my point above I'd be a bit concerned about a non-branded star nut rated for road use (unless it is for a road bike).

(Is the steerer carbon?)
Star nut is only for hs bearing preload. If your stem is properly torqued you should be able to remove the star nut completely after tightening the stem, - but keeping something in there as backup/safety is not a terrible idea.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Star nut is only for hs bearing preload. If your stem is properly torqued you should be able to remove the star nut completely after tightening the stem, - but keeping something in there as backup/safety is not a terrible idea.
Great point.

BTW, my question about a carbon steering tube was because a expansion-style retention device is required in those cases. I know Suns_PSD has light builds, so that was just an FYI.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
I had no problems with mine. Works very well. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
It wouldn't hold and the headset would loosen. This was in an aluminum steerer tube so it may work for carbon.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's just for preload adjustment, it doesn't have to 'hold' anything after initial setup and in fact can be removed once your stem is tightened.

Running an Al Steer tube.

Guess we'll see.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts