Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
This one is $53, but unknown manufacturer so similar situation to a lot of the carbon stuff out there:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Easyti-Tita...801867&hash=item341020a3a6:g:~w4AAOSwrrld5wny
I've got that exact seatpost in 27.2X400, and it's really good--looks great and totally solid after 1500 miles. No QC issues whatsoever that I can detect. 263g. I did have a weird issue where the seller sent me one with a different clamp than pictured, one that didn't work with oval rails, but we worked it out.

I'm selling mine, however, only because I had to switch to a setback with my new bike. Found a good deal on a NOS 3T Dorico LTD, which I like a lot so far.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Seems like TI for $50 or less is out of the question. What about an alloy seat-post that has some vibration absorbing & isn't flexy?

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Seems like TI for $50 or less is out of the question. What about an alloy seat-post that has some vibration absorbing & isn't flexy?
I was always curious about the vibration dampening piece. I've heard that carbon is better (of course design-dependent), so wouldn't a carbon seatpost be a candidate for you? They also seem to be more prevalent on the cheap (again subject to the same manufacturing concerns from a random eBay entity).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Manufacturing QC is that part that has me hesitant; that & having to use carbon paste. I had the amazon best sell carbon seatpost on my gravel bike for like ~2 months but I don't have that bike anymore so I don't know how it lasts in the long run. It was only like $22, but my new gravel bike I was thinking about trying TI or lighter alloy for simplicity sake. It doesn't have to be full be full on weight weenie as my new bike is 4lbs lighter than the missing one it replaces. The stock seat post is a really budge looking tone from Zoom that is fixed & can't tilt the seat at all.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Ah, understood. TBH, I've never understood the vibration-dampening piece (maybe on road handlebars?), so could never comment if Ti or Carbon helped in that regard. If nothing else I'd go to carbon as there are some reputable eBay (oxymoron?) sellers that folks have had decent luck with. Ti, I'm not so certain, and it looks like they're pricier.

In terms of carbon paste/fiber grip, I've had a tube of Finish Line for probably 15 years and it is still half full. I'd just grab that, and you're good to go for quite some time.

(I'm not pushing carbon, BTW.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have found many times that carbon paste is unnecessary to get things to clamp tight. Usually I fit things up dry and they seem to hold just fine that way (knock on wood)

·
Registered
103 Posts
for me its few rides, but in our community it is used a lot

guys tested different saddles, and in general they all dont fail, but this is the only (from tested) that keeps its form as needed

i will update post if anything will happen

·
Registered
103 Posts
reporting in about saddle

unfortunatelly, my fit recomendation is to move saddle backwards as much as possible on current bike setup

on photo you can see fabric saddle installed in +- right position

chinese saddle is too short, so i just cant place it in needed position

so, going to sell this one and find something longer :(

4cdae3e5-562c-4b6a-a627-b06443fe56cb.jpg
6d4b75b5-6072-4152-bdcf-6c6c97412721.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't know anything about the Shikra stems, but a solid competitor to Wren stems (similar size range and pricing) are those from Mt. Zoom.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Anybody here know anything about the handlebars sold by DIY Carbon Bikes? They're US based and have sold carbon frames and wheels for a few years. There's one thread here on MTBR about folks having good experiences with wheels purchased from them, but nothing about their bars.

The bars are appealingly cheap and light, but if these are the same Chinese no name stuff we find on Ebay and AliExpress with a different label stuck on I won't get too excited. If there's better testing and quality control, however, I could be very interested.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Anybody here know anything about the handlebars sold by DIY Carbon Bikes? They're US based and have sold carbon frames and wheels for a few years. There's one thread here on MTBR about folks having good experiences with wheels purchased from them, but nothing about their bars.

The bars are appealingly cheap and light, but if these are the same Chinese no name stuff we find on Ebay and AliExpress with a different label stuck on I won't get too excited. If there's better testing and quality control, however, I could be very interested.
To be honest they look just like some that i had a few years back and still have kicking around on my wife's bike. Same logo, same sweep and all. Also to be honest, they have been great bars and I would gladly buy them again. if you are looking for cheap and light I would go BXT or Toseek. Both of them are their own companies and have a reputation to worry about.

If items are listed under a companies own name you are generally in good shape. they are not hiding who they are or what they are selling. the issue is with products that replicate name brand stuff. Like a pinarello frame for $600. probably not a good investment.

I will also say that I have seen less and less replica products being sold. I am on my 7th or 8th chinese frame and all my cockpits are china carbon. recently i have started using the aliexpress cranks too and they are amazing value.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I was poking around on ebay, and didn't see BXT seatposts for cheap like they used to be, but Tideace had one that looked the same for $23, so I ordered one. About 2 weeks later it showed up, and it looks identical to the BXTs I have on both my kid's bikes (which have been great). I suspect that BXT and Tideace might be related... Anyway, this one in 27.2 is 191g on my scale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27-2-31-6m...var=690400453950&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

201 - 220 of 235 Posts