Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 200 of 235 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Any suggestions on a quality weight weenie-ish 200/203mm rotor?
They make AirRotors in that size, I have them on my fat-bike. The strength requirement for the rotor goes up considerably, so IMO this is about the best you will do without compromising something important. Even with these rotors, I can bake the pads at the ski resort when we do winter DH races, they aren't proper DH rotors like Shimano Icetech. I am probably overkill with the AirRotors, but I was trying to make some TRP brakes work and I was trying everything under the sun, ultimately gave up, but now running Hopes and everything is right with the world.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
light chainguide

2in1 version - bot classic clamp and s1 direct mount

12 usd!

link to product on AliExpress

its wider than other chain guides i have/ ztto have 11/7 mm between plates, while mrp has 9.6 and fouriers have 10.2
DHing since 1x, clutches and NW, I've never found a situation requiring a chainguide. Chain drops while DHing are so rare that you are more likely to jam the chain in a guide than drop the chain with a good modern setup. The only issue I've had is when the chainring gets worn out, it gets a bit "droppy", but that's easy to detect and way down the road usually. I can literally count on one hand the number of times I've dropped a chain in the past few years.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
They make AirRotors in that size, I have them on my fat-bike. The strength requirement for the rotor goes up considerably, so IMO this is about the best you will do without compromising something important. Even with these rotors, I can bake the pads at the ski resort when we do winter DH races, they aren't proper DH rotors like Shimano Icetech. I am probably overkill with the AirRotors, but I was trying to make some TRP brakes work and I was trying everything under the sun, ultimately gave up, but now running Hopes and everything is right with the world.
Thank you for your reply, will look into that. My new bike is running 180mm Level TL all around, but max is 205 front & 185(discontinued size) in the back. First time on hydro brakes so not sure what's good or bad; so, I am trying that size to get the most out of the stock brakes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
as for me, there is a big price to pay if chaing goes off. it can destroy derailer hanger, rear derailler, damage rear wheel. even damage frame (derailler goes into wheel and slaps on chainstays)

i saw with my own eyes chain than got two knots after chain fell off

some nw systems do retain chain well, but they effectiveness drops with wear. if you can ALWAYS run on new drivetrain, like pro racers do - good for you

and the main reason to have chainguide on all my single front chainrig bikes is that chainguide is cheap (20 USD) and light (40 gr)

for that little price i reduce chances of getting into big troubles donw to (almost) zero

·
Registered
103 Posts
Boutht and tested two levers for remote dropper posts

Forgot to put them on scales, but i will meke review a bit later and will add photo

They improved my TMARS droppers so much, so i really dont care about their weight

1. ZTTO lever, 17USD. It got BIG ball bearing inside, so it works super smooth. Link to AliExpress

photo_2020-05-25_18-58-30.jpg

2 MUQZI lever, 14USD. It looks not as ergonomic as ZTTO and has micro bearing inside, but still works good. Link to AliExpress

photo_2020-05-25_18-57-19.jpg

Below you can see combined ZTTO lever with RS Reba remote lockout

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anybody have experience with these seatposts? https://www.diycarbonbikes.com/collections/seatposts/products/2018-dcb-s130-ultralight-carbon-ti-bolt-seatpost?variant=21332338770000
Very light, more expensive than the usual Chinese stuff, two year warranty.
It is the same usual seatpost from Aliexpress.
The photos show two versions. One with good support for the rails, the other one not so good.
I wouldn't buy with this price, makes no sense. Btw, I have two from Aliexpress.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Anybody have experience with these seatposts? https://www.diycarbonbikes.com/collections/seatposts/products/2018-dcb-s130-ultralight-carbon-ti-bolt-seatpost?variant=21332338770000
Very light, more expensive than the usual Chinese stuff, two year warranty.
I have had the cheaper version of this post on a few of my bikes. The oldest being a few years. They work great but this price is way too high. I like the ones sold by BXT. I have had awesome experiences with their stuff and the weights are great. I am 250lbs ready to ride and usually ride rigid so I feel that their stuff is also very durable. As other suggest, this price is really high and even with the warranty you are paying more than 2x for something that likely won't have any issues that could be warrantied anyways

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have had the cheaper version of this post on a few of my bikes. The oldest being a few years. They work great but this price is way too high. I like the ones sold by BXT. I have had awesome experiences with their stuff and the weights are great. I am 250lbs ready to ride and usually ride rigid so I feel that their stuff is also very durable. As other suggest, this price is really high and even with the warranty you are paying more than 2x for something that likely won't have any issues that could be warrantied anyways
Do you have a link of the seatpost you bought? Maybe ill be luckier with them and im on the 200ish side as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you search for elite one seatpost you will see there is a newer model. It seems to be better, but I can't confirm.
Funny that they call that the new one. I actually received the half circle cradle style ones about 8 months ago but then received the longer "winged" cradle style last month. I have not noticed a difference in performance. I think either one will work great and the post themselves seem to be identical.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The screws position on the "old" one are quite bad. Hard to tighten using a torque wrench (one is easy, the other one is hard)
The new one seems to fix that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Won't get one of those then. It's moot anyway, since I need an offset seatpost now. Thinking of going with ICAN as their QC should be a little better than unbranded stuff.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Is there any weight weenie titanium seatpost for under $50? Would it's vibration dampening features be any good? I know for frames it can be, but not sure about seatposts.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yeah I did search on google & a few amazon times came up, but most of those had QC issues in terms of sizing not being 100% accurate.

181 - 200 of 235 Posts