Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

I have an XC bike that could use some lighter wheels and wondered what people think is best. I am open to going custom, but I really just don't want to spend too much money.

What do peope like?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The usual suspects are the Chinese carbon rim/wheel makers. I haven't checked prices lately, but a couple of years ago you could get a variety of wheels with decent hub and spoke choices for $600-1000 from BTLOS and similar manufacturers. Actual weights depend on lots of things like rim width, hub and spoke choice, but just for comparison the 25mm ID set I got from them 2-3 years ago ended up weighing about 1325g (DT240 hubs, weight without tape/valves) and cost between $800 and 900. If I'd gone with the cheapest options it would have been closer to $600 even, but a couple hundred grams heavier. I don't tend to break wheels often (and indeed this pair have held up just fine so far) so it was worth it to me to cough up a bit more for the lighter set.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I’m using BTLOS wheels, i29 width rims that are actually listed as all mountain instead of xc but they have a high weight limit and can take more than I can give them. The whell set weighs 1370 grams with CXRay spokes and DT 180 hubs. The hubs are overkill but I always wanted them so I got them. The rims are 390 grams which is pretty light but not super light. You could go with an i27 rim that is 350 grams or even 315 grams if you get the extra light version but they have a weight limit and probably are not suited to anything but smooth trails. Anyway you should be able to get a set of wheels with 240 hubs in the 900$ range and weight around 1450 grams. I decided the extra 40 grams per rim was ok for the added stiffness and strength.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Hunt has some aluminum (6069?) Wheelsets at around 1520g for around $650.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't used their lighter duty wheels as I have their enduro ones but I'm sure Spanks offering are very high quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.