Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a brand-new rotor that is warped enough to where I can't keep it from rubbing. Getting a replacement, but I'd like to see if I can true this rotor and keep using it....what's the best method for doing this?

Thanks

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,180 Posts
tf5598 said:
Have a brand-new rotor that is warped enough to where I can't keep it from rubbing. Getting a replacement, but I'd like to see if I can true this rotor and keep using it....what's the best method for doing this?

Thanks
I'd be interested in a solution too. I've gone through 2 rotors in less than 3 months due to slight warping.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
tf5598 said:
Thanks
Best way? Quickest? Cheapest? Take your pic - I've done 'em every way and wrote the FAQ at the top right.

Cheapest - fingers, then clean your finger oils off with isopropyl alcohol.
Quickest? Probably an e-cheapo dollar store (clean) adjustable wrench clamped in place.
Best? Morningstar Tools Drumstix is the best - two tools to isolate the warp and one tool to do the adjusting.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Hope you guys kept those old rotors, especially once you figure out how easy it is to true a rotor, you should be good for a long time before buying more, they don't wear all that quickly.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Ditto regarding the techniques.

Also, I've found that the larger the rotor, the bigger the initial warping seems to be (makes sense from the engineering side of things and the manufacturing process). Take your time and be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to truing....it does wonders.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Psycho Mike said:
Take your time and be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to truing....it does wonders.
Talking about perfectionism - I've used my Morningstar R2OC Tech to get the rotors within three thou. Visually that is perfection but of course it's taking things to the silly extreme as the first time the rotors heat and cool they'll be more warped than three thou. But it becomes somewhat like climbing a mountain "because it's there".

To the original poster - throw a white card on the floor under the bike and sight down between pad and rotor to see the wobbles.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
pimpbot said:
... a small crescent wrench.
That will not work as well. With the drumstix you isolate the problem with the two stabilizer forks, then adjust it with the other tuning fork.

Using just a cresent wrench does work, but not as well as you end up bending parts of the rotor you don't need to be adjusting which can amplify the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.