Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to strip all the paint of my SS frame and would like to know if it can be done and if so which products works best.

The plan is to leave the frame on its natural color and put some stickes on it.
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,913 Posts
Spray On Foaming Chemical paint stripper or Extra Strength Easy Off oven cleaner (its the yellow can), let sit for 10 minutes, wear rubber gloves, take a plastic bristles brush and just rub off the paint/annodized color. Then hose off with water.

It'll turn a dull grey color afterwards as it then self-oxidizes again and forms a protective surface layer of aluminium oxide (this is a natural property of the metal when exposed to oxygen). You can also take the time to polish it up with some metalbrite/brassol paste and some soft rags and it'll take on a mirror like finish before it self-oxidizes again.
 

·
Rollin' a fatty
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a way to avoid the oxidation?

DeeEight said:
Spray On Foaming Chemical paint stripper or Extra Strength Easy Off oven cleaner (its the yellow can), let sit for 10 minutes, wear rubber gloves, take a plastic bristles brush and just rub off the paint/annodized color. Then hose off with water.

It'll turn a dull grey color afterwards as it then self-oxidizes again and forms a protective surface layer of aluminium oxide (this is a natural property of the metal when exposed to oxygen). You can also take the time to polish it up with some metalbrite/brassol paste and some soft rags and it'll take on a mirror like finish before it self-oxidizes again.
How about after polishing the frame paint it with clear spray paint, will the mirror like finish remain?
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Buy aircraft paint remover, thats the actual product

DiRt DeViL said:
I would like to strip all the paint of my SS frame and would like to know if it can be done and if so which products works best.

The plan is to leave the frame on its natural color and put some stickes on it.
name, is available lots of places including wally. One thing be careful with it, what ever it touches the paint is gone. Wally has it cheaper than anyone including autobody supply places.
 

Attachments

·
Rollin' a fatty
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does Home Depot sells it?

moab63 said:
name, is available lots of places including wally. One thing be careful with it, what ever it touches the paint is gone. Wally has it cheaper than anyone including autobody supply places.
We don't have a Wally around here, is an autobody supply place the best bet?

How about the clear coat, is spary on enough?
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Yes you can with time it will come off like any paint

DiRt DeViL said:
How about after polishing the frame paint it with clear spray paint, will the mirror like finish remain?
seen it done lots of times in motorcycle parts.
 

·
Ride what you want!!
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Did anyone else notice the paint stripper adds at the top of the page?

new 'feature'.

george
 

·
Rollin' a fatty
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As a matter of fact I did...

noticed, could MTBR have a deal with Google to post ads by matching certain key works on the threads? Cool!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Pain&epoxy remover

DiRt DeViL said:
I would like to strip all the paint of my SS frame and would like to know if it can be done and if so which products works best.

The plan is to leave the frame on its natural color and put some stickes on it.
I use a product called Jasco.I think I got it frome home depot.It's a paint and epoxy remover.Took all of about 15min to strip a frame.Make sure you use rubber gloves and eye protection.If you get it on you it really burns.
 

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top