Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as making money goes, what is the best way to sell on EBAY?

Complete bike, or part out.

I have thought parting out, but worry about not getting much for my components.

The bike is 10 years old, so 8 speed, but ridden in a limited fashion...so it takes the right person looking to replace their 8 speed.

So again...complete or part out

It is a Ti Voodoo, with full XTR.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Full XTR? a year ago it seemed like every time i tried to buy an XTR item on ebay id get sniped out or bid out of my budjet by hundreds of XTR hungry upgraders. You could have a gold mine, strip and ship! let us know how it goes.

BTW..... i ended up buying new XTR V-brakes becouse i just kept getting out bidded!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Totally agree. I tried to sell my Surly 1x1 a few years ago on eBay. I had a reserve of something like $750 and didn't get it, but I parted it out and got over $900. It probably depends on what you're selling though. If it is "vintage" you'll probably get more selling it whole unless it has really rare parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am thinking about selling some old parts on ebay. They are lower grade, but in real good condition. Do you guys have any hints or suggestions on getting the most out of them? Thanks.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,813 Posts
I would part that bike out.......bottom line with ebay is everyone wants a good deal on perfect parts. Be realistic and do some research before posting items. Pay attention to when you list items (date and time).....this effects the ending times. For example, I scored a great deal on a King hub because the auction ended on the 4th of July at 2000 hrs. Let the market decided what the parts are worth by starting out the auction at $.01. IF you put too many restrictions on the auction it will not sell. Also, be very descriptive about the items condition.

·
I don't wear a watch.
180 Posts
Here are my suggestions for getting the best $ for your items.

No reserves, no buy-it-now and a low starting bid.
Describe your item well and honestly.
Clean it up and take good pictures of item.
Don't try and make money on the shipping... charge reasonable shipping rates.
Don't let the item end at a weird time like 3am. End it when most people have time to be on the Internet (working hours and evening hours). Consider time zones differences too.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This is a terrible advise in general: No reserves, no buy-it-now.

Many items I sold BIN for much much more than I would hope for (must be used with a reserve).

Many items I was glad I had reserve.

Yeah, don't put reserve on $5 item. LOL!

Also it is not shipping but S&H what people keep forgetting. Charge reasonable but be fair to your time you spent packaging and shipping. Also selling on ebay/paypal comes with a premium and S&H may provide some remedy.

·
I don't wear a watch.
180 Posts
ozvena said:
This is a terrible advise in general: No reserves, no buy-it-now.

Many items I sold BIN for much much more than I would hope for (must be used with a reserve)
Maybe you would have gotten much more if you didn't cap the max price you would have gotten by using a BIN? That if the beauty (and the risk) of a true auction.

I don't think there is a need for a reserve price... just set the start bidding at something you can live with. It does the same thing by protecting your item from selling at too low of a price. The difference is that everyone knows that price as it's not hidden from bidders like a reserve is. As a buyer, I dislike bidding on a item only to later realize that they had an unreasonable reserve.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You are not correct again, I know values of my items and I carefully research it (internet stores & ebay). I sometimes choose BIN which would be a dream to sell for that much however it does sell sometimes for that much and I can't stop laughing on the way to the bank.

You forgot that some people buy on impulse and in a hurry with no homework done. That is how I make the most money.

You also forget that in order to drive the price up you need to have at least two buyers who are willing to compete. With zillions of items on ebay every day you get often to a situation that you only get one buyer and you ended up selling items for 95% of what you hoped for. That is how people end up with such great buys.

Saying that reserve is not needed in general is a bad advise. I think most people do not care and will bid finding later that the reserve is higher than they are willing to pay for the item (you hate it? that is your problem, and thank you for your bid). On the end you end up with a lot of traffic and some buyers would bid just because they feel that it must be a good deal with so much traffic (bids).

That is why I start with $0.01 starting bid. Also with such bid people will bid on your item and not on some other item with a starting bid much higher as you recommend.

In general starting low with a reserve is better than starting high with no reserve from my experience.

To demonstrate how small the buyers pool is one item that I sold one week for $50 (shipped) but the next week it sold for just $28 (shipped). My reserve was $40 (it costs over $70 + shipping if purchased from a store). Now I have a choice to seel it for $28 or re-list. On the end it is me who decides the price.

One example that resisting works... I sold a fork for $190, the same one I was trying to sell on Craigslist and forums for $120 for at least 6 months. However the buyer bailed out. I was mad. I re-listed and it sold BIN for $280!!! This OEM fork came for a new $1000 bike I bought on ebay and probably sells for $100 less at internet stores new with a warranty. It was a super heavy beginners AM fork, noting appealing about it.

Sorry, I do not gable on ebay that is not my approach.

·
Registered
425 Posts
On hot items: ex. XT crankset, Thomson stem, I would not worry about reserve price, way too many people look at these items everyday and constantly bid on them. Less popular or no-name parts, a reserved price or resonable starting price is needed, otherwise it might not even worth the packaging and eBay fees. People do buy thing in a hurry, in that case BIN is a good tool to provide that 'express service option' for extra money.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ozvena said:
are you sure?

Check ebay. Tons of Thomson items sold for around $10. I buy your high end stuff for $10 any time, just ping me. :D
Sure, show me some examples of those 'tons of Thomson stuff for $10', I will sell you mine for $9, how's that?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Are you saying that you can't perform a search on ebay on completed auctions? Are you saying that if I show you how to do it you will send me your Thomson HW for $9? I just want to make sure that is the deal before I spent my time yet again showing you why you need to use reserve.

·
Mountain Cyclist
320 Posts
Id say, if you have serious knowledge of the item do a BIN...rare or things you don't know that much about, dont use BIN.

Perfect example, I had an old set of spinergy rev-x-roks I put on ebay...not the best shape, ave cond. I thought my BIN of $250 was a bit of a stretch given the condition but someone bought within 30 min...a similar set in similar condition bid up to $450+ a week later. Ya never know. Do as much homework as you can and price accordingly.

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
ozvena said:
Are you saying that you can't perform a search on ebay on completed auctions? Are you saying that if I show you how to do it you will send me your Thomson HW for $9? I just want to make sure that is the deal before I spent my time yet again showing you why you need to use reserve.
I don't know how to do that search, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Still, the time I do spend on Ebay looking at Thomson, I don't see any go for below $40 much less "around $10". I'll sell you a Thomson stem in mint condition for under $40 if you can show me a pattern of proof that Thomson gear goes for around $10 on Ebay.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ozvena said:
Sure, show me your tons of $10 Thomson stems or seatposts and I will give you mine for $9.

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
BigBull said:
Sure, show me your tons of $10 Thomson stems or seatposts and I will give you mine for $9.
Don't mention the $40 S&H unless you have too.... LOL. Me, I'm tossing in free shipping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.