Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous no name grips didn't move @ all. Bought a new set of Race Face Good n' Evil grips and they won't stay put. What is the best way to secure grips? Thanx

·
Registered
59 Posts
Simple green

keen said:
My previous no name grips didn't move @ all. Bought a new set of Race Face Good n' Evil grips and they won't stay put. What is the best way to secure grips? Thanx
Simple green,works to lube instal than dries to tacky consistancy,use only a couple drops per grip and it helps to clean the handlebar with alcohol before hand to keep the grease away.

·
Registered
524 Posts
simple green, or you can take hairspray and spray your bars, then heat it up with a lighter. Just clean before install with rubbing alchohol, but they shouldnt move after that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crazy glue works great as a last resort

QUOTE=keen]My previous no name grips didn't move @ all. Bought a new set of Race Face Good n' Evil grips and they won't stay put. What is the best way to secure grips? Thanx[/QUOTE]

I had some Ourys grips on my single speed that know matter what I did, would not stay on. I believe it was my bars that were the "pitted" type that wouldn't allow proper Adherence of the grips. Anyway, I decided to try crazy glue, made sure I covered the area on the bars where the grips would go. Let them dry in the sun for a few hours. Those grips were on really good after that.
Only thing is if you remove and replace your grips it's likely you'll have to cut 'em right off, you won't be able to use them again, so make sure you get them on just right, the way you want them, logo facing forward, whatever.
I used to use hairspray. Worked pretty well. So now if my grips won't stay put after using my trusty hairspray, I'll resort to the "crazy glue method".
Good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Spray paint works too. I've also seen actual grip glue at some bike shops, but can't remember the name of it. 3M spray on glue might work too, but might be a nightmare when it's time to change grips.

I've changed to Odi lock-ons on all my bikes. It's so much easier if you need to change a shifter aor brake lever.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I have the same grips as well on both my bikes, & had problems keeping them from rolling off the bars after a few weeks of use. Found some leftover auto high temp. engine paint in the shop & gave it a try. When I changed brakes recently on the tracer I had to cut them off the bars to remove em, the stuff worked that well. BTW those are my favorite grips, relatively soft, & big enough for large hands.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Shoe Goo

Shoe Goo work great. Spread it out beforehand inside the grips (as opposed to just putting a couple gobs on the end. I use a short piece of cable housing to work it around, but anything will work.

Goes on, dries pretty quick, and still removable (exepct with foam grips). Cleans up pretty easy off the bars (peels off).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.