Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am going down to the bay this weekand. I plan on riding mount diablo. From 1-80 how do i get to the trail head. The purpose of this ride would be for me to climb to the top of mount diablo, and then have a nice (hopefully singletrack) ride back. I am using this as a training ride. Anyway, help and advice would be greatly apreaciated.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
NoBalance said:
Is that a trick question?

If you're hardcore and good, its a workout. If not ...
I think what nobalance is saying is Mnt D is a beyatch - no matter which way you go. Minimum 4,500' climbing round trip.

You feeling lucky? Are ya?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Start at Macedo Ranch trail head in Alamo. Head up Wall Point to the Ranger's residence, bear left and ride the dirt parallel to the road then cross the road to the helicopter pad. Climb up until you reach Summit Rd., then cross and ride on a paved driveway past the other Ranger's residence. It turns into dirt and is a tough climb. Then you will reach Summit Rd. again just below Juniper Campground. From here it is all paved road to the summit. Then on the way down, drop onto the Devil's Elbow singletrack (legal). Great trail. Follow this until you reach the saddle between Mt. Diablo and North Peak. From here, you bomb down a rocky rutted fireroad and then do a lot of up and downs on fireroads. Past Deer Flat and up the Widow Maker towards Juniper Campground again. But before you reach there, take a right and bomb down more fireroad. You will come up to a big concrete water trough - go straight onto the singletrack (Mother's - also legal). Little windy then steep as a mutha. Turn right when you reach the fireroad and bomb down it and you will come down Burma and call haul a$$ there. Brakes will start to heat up. You will end at North Gate road. Cross and follow down to the creek and drainage pond. Left turn follow the creek and then you'll take a right back up over the hills back to Macedo Ranch. Should be about 35 miles, 5,500' of climbing approximately. Killer loop, we did it twice in a day once.

I would suggest getting a map and planning this route out. Not a lot of traffic on some trails and you could easily get lost.

Good luck!

·
Banned
218 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
Minimum 4,500' climbing round trip.
DOOOOOOOOD, when did they increase the elevation of the big D?

3,849 at the top, climbing from Mitchell adds maybe 40' vertical after Deer Flat due to the dip and you start at 200' plus...

If the OP is riding this weekend, and wants to ride early to avoid trail conflicts (aka known as rangers/tickets/etc.) then I would suggest driving to Clayton, parking at the library (Google is a wonderful thing) heading out Mitchell Canyon road, entering the park, climbing Mitchell Canyon to Deer Flat, left to Murchio Gap, descend the Connector back to the start of that climb, climb back towards Deer Flat, Climb up to Juniper (via the Widowmaker {such a played out trail name BTW}), climb the road from Juniper to Devil's elbow and then take North Peak/North Side/Devil's Elbow trail to Prospector's Gap. Look to your left. That's Bald Ridge trail. It's nice. Descend Bald Ridge to Murchio Gap (you've already been here BTW). Go right on the fireroad, past the intersection with Meridian Ridge. It's a middle (foreshadowing...) ring climb and slight descent to a water tank/horse drinking thing on your left at the head of Middle Trail. Descend Middle Trail. Hang a left at the fork, exit at the fireroad with a big grin.

Hit Heatherington on your right if you're still in need of more singletrack on your way out of the park and on the way to Ed's, or the Village Market (which still has a HUGE stockpile of Bigfoot BTW).

·
Registered
105 Posts
urinal mint said:

3,849 at the top, climbing from Mitchell adds maybe 40' vertical after Deer Flat due to the dip and you start at 200' plus...
Well, maybe the GPS back in the day wasn't as accurate, but the loop I posted has a ton of ups and downs on the north side.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
It seems the park service is somewhat trying to close the Connector (Deer Flat trail) by closing the top with some rocks and letting the bottom opening be completely overgrown. Not such a bad thing sometimes if one was to know what lies within. Nice ride by the way. I would only add on a fireroad climb at the end towards Cardinet and instead of hitting Heatherington, drop down Wasserman. Super rocky right now due to all the horse traffic...

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
urinal mint said:

If the OP is riding this weekend, and wants to ride early to avoid trail conflicts (aka known as rangers/tickets/etc.) then I would suggest driving to Clayton, parking at the library (Google is a wonderful thing) heading out Mitchell Canyon road, entering the park, climbing Mitchell Canyon to Deer Flat, left to Murchio Gap, descend the Connector back to the start of that climb, climb back towards Deer Flat, Climb up to Juniper (via the Widowmaker {such a played out trail name BTW}), climb the road from Juniper to Devil's elbow and then take North Peak/North Side/Devil's Elbow trail to Prospector's Gap. Look to your left. That's Bald Ridge trail. It's nice. Descend Bald Ridge to Murchio Gap (you've already been here BTW). Go right on the fireroad, past the intersection with Meridian Ridge. It's a middle (foreshadowing...) ring climb and slight descent to a water tank/horse drinking thing on your left at the head of Middle Trail. Descend Middle Trail. Hang a left at the fork, exit at the fireroad with a big grin.

Hit Heatherington on your right if you're still in need of more singletrack on your way out of the park and on the way to Ed's, or the Village Market (which still has a HUGE stockpile of Bigfoot BTW).
I guess it depends on your route.

I usually go through shell ridge - with the rollers you get an easy 5,500' just doing an out and back.

Clayton side is for beginners I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.