Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Gary Fisher Rig and I would like to gain feedback on best and most cost effective way to reduce weight. I will be riding this bike mostly on fire roads and surburban/urban rides. Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Replace the fork for a rigid one, you won't need it on fireroads anyway.

That's the only cost efficient way to save some weight, you'll save about 800 grams for $200. Other heavy components are rearhub, bottom bracket, stem and handlebar.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
only thing i would touch would be tires and/or tubes. Rig is a budget bike as you know........not worth upgrading in my opinion as it defeats the purpose of the budget price point. I would sell it and start over if I really wanted to get a lighter bike as that would be cheaper IMHO in even the medium term.

Would also consider selling the Reba and picking up a Pace, Bontrager, On-One, or White Brothers carbon fork as after selling the Reba, it would not cost much, if anything. For your riding, up to XC riding or even some AM riding thrown in, a Reba is definitely not needed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rig weights

I just stripped a Rig down to rebuild it as a race bike for a friend. It is a worthy enough frame to build up light, especially for the money.
Here are some of the heavy parts:
The Cane Creek S-1 headset is 184 grams with the crown race, cups bearings, and top race (not including the starnut and topcap). That is really heavy. A King or Deus headset, though not superlight, is almost 100 grams lighter!
The EBB comes in around 284 grams (without the bottom brackett). I am having a friend mill a hundred grams off of this.
The ISIS bottom brackett is 295 grams with bolts.
The stem isn't TOO heavy (under 200 grams). About the same as a Thomson Elite.
Definitely replace the tubes with lightweight 26" tubes and take the bashguard off.
The Chain is heavy and of very poor quality. I would replace it with a 9 speed SRAM or lighter KMC SL.
The rear cog is heavy and cheap. Replace it with a Niner Cogalicious Cog, maybe with more teeth?

Just some thoughts. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.