Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a "best way" to reattach the mtb chain? I very rarely remove my rear wheel. I think when I've done it in the past I've taken a random approach. It seems like the best way might be for me to drop my gripshift to its lowest setting and then attach the chain to the smallest chainring on the cassette. Does this seem like the best approach? Are there any tips, tricks or best practices that you would recommend?

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,222 Posts
Undo the quick link to take chain off, redo the quick link to put chain back on.

If no quick link, then you are using a chain tool to push pins in and out.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
First, you realize you can remove your rear wheel without removing the chain. Generally puttting it in the smallest cog is a good idea to "decompress" the derailleur. If you have a "lockout" on the derailleur cage, that's handy.

Then you can remove the link and the chain at your leisure and replace it at your leisure.

Or you can remove the chain without removing the wheel, and, again smallest cog is a good idea to decompress the derailleur.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,222 Posts
If your gonna remove both, removing the chain first makes it 1.257% easier to then remove the wheel.

0.678% easier if you have the derailleur lock thingy.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OP, yes, shift to the smallest COG on the cassette, then remove wheel, if you have a SRAM RD, it most likely has a lock to lock the cage open to make it easier, if you have a Shimano with clutch, turn it off. Shifting to the smalest cog, also makes it easier when re-installing the wheel.
As to removing the chain, why do you want to do this? If it's for cleaning not really necessary, can easily do a good clean on the bike with a tooth brush. Also, what speed is your drivetrain? If it's anything over 10spd, a lot of the quick links aren't sposed to be re-used, but you can once you keep a spare, you will need quick link pliers to get them undone. If you're running 10spd, KMC make reusable quick links that undo by hand.

Best advice I can give is to head to the Park Tool Youtube channel and check out their repair and maintenance videos, then search YT if you want more info, loads of stuff out there to watch and learn.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Guys he does not want to remove his chain, he just considers removing the wheel 'removing the chain' because the chain comes off the cassette.

OP - Shift to the smallest cog, swing the derailleur arm forward and engage the little lock thingy (if you have it), then drop the wheel out while holding the chain and derailleur out of the way. Then to put the wheel back in you bring the wheel up to the dropouts, place the chain over the smallest cog, pop the wheel into the dropouts while keeping the chain and derailleur out of the way again.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Is this a real topic? The OP has been on here since 2008 and can't remove a rear wheel...

Reactions: Finch Platte

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
To clarify, Titus, are you removing the chain from the bike? Why? Is sounds like you are removing the rear wheel only. Shifting to the smallest cog for install/ removal is the easiest way, as it's a pain to line up the chain with a different cog. If that's still confusing, you'll need to find a video of that or watch someone do it in person.

Removing the chain from the bike is unnecessary unless you are replacing the chain or cleaning an extremely dirty chain.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
You can also take pliers and bend the square metal piece attached to the rear derailleur cage to get the chain off, then bend it back after it's on again. Not sure that you'd want to do that too many times though lol.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,079 Posts
guys he does not want to remove his chain, he just considers removing the wheel 'removing the chain' because the chain comes off the cassette.

Op - shift to the smallest cog, swing the derailleur arm forward and engage the little lock thingy (if you have it), then drop the wheel out while holding the chain and derailleur out of the way. Then to put the wheel back in you bring the wheel up to the dropouts, place the chain over the smallest cog, pop the wheel into the dropouts while keeping the chain and derailleur out of the way again.
r.w.r. 101

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.