Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Pennsylvania from Wyoming. We didn't have ticks out there. From what I understand illnesses from ticks are quite bad in this part of the northeast particularly lyme disease. I found a tick on me today after my ride. Seeing how I don't want to totally cover myself up when its hot out. I'm looking for a way to repel ticks when I'm riding. All i have been able to find is soaking my clothes in chemicals. I am a little afraid to try this because I am afraid I'm going to have a reaction to it. But if its the only way I might have to.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
Whatever solution you may find, always check yourself whenever you've been out in the wild.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,313 Posts
I don't know if it works as well as claimed but I'm fixin' to try Cedarcide. My riding buddy says it works. It's also supposed to work for chiggers as well. I sure hope so! I can't stand them.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
Hands down best option is to treat your clothing with permethrin.

If you buy the pre-diluted stuff, you're pretty unlikely to have any sort of reaction. Not impossible, though.

I diluted a concentrated permethrin to soak a bunch of clothes last year for work, and that tingled until I washed them a couple times. Probably should have diluted it more.

Get into the habit of checking yourself after spending time in the woods, too. I've caught many ticks this way. A few times, I've even FELT larger ticks like dog ticks and lone star ticks bite me while I was on my way home.

Also be aware, that most people who get lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases aren't getting it from ticks they get while out hiking or mountain biking. Nope. They pick those ticks up while doing yard work. For your yard, use "tick tubes". You can buy them as-is. But they're just permethrin-treated cotton balls shoved into tp tubes. Put them out in your garden, and the local field mice will take the cotton balls for nest material. Now, you're killing the ticks that feed on the mice. Since the mice are a reservoir for lyme disease, you break the life cycle of the disease and there are fewer ticks in your yard as well as fewer disease-transmitting ticks in your yard.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,967 Posts
Permethrin's the ****. Just be super careful applying it when pets are present, especially cats.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
There’s really only one surefire way... horse semen.. gallons and gallons of horse semen. Cover every inch of expose skin and reapply liberally as needed.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As Harold stated, permethrin treated clothing. 3 oz of 38% to a gallon of water (a little higher than the pre-mix) and spray on your riding clothes and gear every month, pending on how much ya ride and wash clothes. They say its good for 6-8 machine washings. I ride 3x a week or more and treat 4 sets of riding clothes once a month. I spray my shoes and camelback also (no not the hose or bite valve)

Avoid (if possible) tall grassy fields and hike-a-bike thru the woods. Ticks DO NOT jump like fleas you need to brush up against the stuff they're hanging out on. Always check yourself after a ride and then check again. Nothing you put on your body will work if you sweat, in 20 minutes it will be useless. DEET does nothing against ticks regardless of what the can says.

Take this with a grain of salt, this is what works for me and some others in SWPa.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
Spray yourself/clothing with vinegar. Ticks hate it. You will smell like s_it but beats getting ticks on ya'.
Care to share any peer-reviewed scientific evidence that this does anything OTHER than make you smell like ass? You know, because when major diseases are a concern, I'm not going to rely on hippie voodoo. I'm going to use what actually works.

Google Scholar turns up 6800 scientific papers about the effectiveness of permethrin-impregnated clothing against ticks.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,34&q=effectiveness+of+permethrin+ticks&btnG=

·
One ring to mash them all
2,967 Posts
I wonder if vinegar will help wash off the horse semen.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
As others have recommended, Permethrin is the stuff. I used that and DEET on bare skin, though it's not very effective against ticks. I've gone on hikes in winter when it was barely above freezing and found ticks on myself and the dog. Some hikes in spring I'd pick a dozen or more off the dog, stopping every 15 minutes to pick more off. It was ludicrous at times. I've found ticks on myself or the dog after going for a walk in a suburban residential neighborhood.

Even with using Permethrin and DEET, I still would strip down and do a full body inspection after a hike or ride.

With a mosquitoes, I found permethrin to be effective on clothing with DEET on bare skin.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Care to share any peer-reviewed scientific evidence that this does anything OTHER than make you smell like ass? You know, because when major diseases are a concern, I'm not going to rely on hippie voodoo. I'm going to use what actually works.

Google Scholar turns up 6800 scientific papers about the effectiveness of permethrin-impregnated clothing against ticks.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,34&q=effectiveness+of+permethrin+ticks&btnG=
Let the record show that Harold did not dispute the validity of the horse semen method which is as good as a tacit endorsement.

I wonder if vinegar will help wash off the horse semen.
That seems counterproductive. I can only imagine the looks you’d get at a post-ride watering hole if using both of these methods. “Bro, you smell like sweat, c*$, and boardwalk fries, I’m going not going to judge you, but I’m gonna to have to ask you to sit outside...”

1 - 20 of 103 Posts