Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for suggestions on the best way to lock my bike up in my garage? I've done some research and not finding many good "insider" tips or info. Just generic stuff.

I know inside my garage it "should" be safe, but I live in a large Apt complex, without a ton of lighting, some shady people, and it is known to have the occasional car break every few months. Not a dangerous high crime area, but also not super safe and crime free. I've had my car broken in to twice in 10 years, and others have had people wander into their garage when it's open!

So even though I will NEVER take my bike out of the garage, unless it's in my car (so that nobody can see what I have), I'm still just worried, and would like to do what I can, to make it harder IF someone tries to break in.

So I have 3 bikes, my MTB, my Road bike and my GF's Road bike. I mounted a 3/4"x 12' x 6' piece of finished pine to the wall with 8 huge deck screws into the studs. Then attached to the board are 3 separate wall mount racks, to hold the wheel and let the bike hand down vertically. There's 4 screws in each rack to hold them to the pine board. So it's pretty sturdy and not going anywhere.

I was thinking of trying to run cables through the racks and then the bikes. And then run a few different cables between bike 1 and 2, bike 1 and 3, that way, there are at least 2-3 cables attached to the bikes but in different configurations, so that it would take more time and effort to possibly cut through them all. Or is that just a waste of time?

I'm just worried, because even though it's an almost 0% chance my bike will be stolen WITH the garage door closed, we have 1 or 2 times forgot to close our garage and found out it was open all night, or come home from work to find it open! Which if it was, and my bikes weren't locked up, there is a really good chance they would be gone! And my new MTB is really expensive. So I want to do anything I can to protect it. Or at the very least, slow the thieves down. So do you think it's worth my time running 2-3 different cables through the racks and the 3 bikes? Or a total waste of time? And if it's worth my time, what have you guys done to make it difficult for would be thieves?

Thanks

· Get Down Do you
649 Posts
I would wire up your garage door to notify you that it was left open. There are several devices out there that can tell you that you left the door open. This way you are not just worried about your bikes but people having easy access to your home.

Reactions: ctxcrossx

· Registered
20,210 Posts
I would wire up your garage door to notify you that it was left open. There are several devices out there that can tell you that you left the door open. This way you are not just worried about your bikes but people having easy access to your home.
I thought I saw an ad for a device that will let you open and close your garage door remotely via phone. Well, if it exists I'm sure an ad will pop up soon enough now that I'm writing about it.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I added a sensor on the garage door for my alarm system, a doorbell camera and best of all, this in the garage:

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Wheel

I also use a kryptonite lock of some sort but in my city, thieves can get though any lock in less than a minute with an orbital grinder. You need more. Much more.

Sure, most expensive locks come with insurance of some sort but who needs that bull$hit? My bikes took me forever to build. They are my passion.

· Registered
20,210 Posts
I added a sensor on the garage door for my alarm system, a doorbell camera and best of all, this in the garage:

View attachment 1949013

I also use a kryptonite lock of some sort but in my city, thieves can get though any lock in less than a minute with an orbital grinder. You need more. Much more.

Sure, most expensive locks come with insurance of some sort but who needs that bull$hit? My bikes took me forever to build. They are my passion.
Man, that light bulb camera is cool. Does it work well?

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Man, that light bulb camera is cool. Does it work well?
I am still figuring it out but so far, 7.5 out of 10. I need to get rid of false alarms and have it WAKE ME UP with the app when I really need to be alerted. I'm sure it's me - I just need to take some time and fine tune the app. Definitely a keeper though.

*by false alarms, I mean when I go into the garage to get a Bubly. So it's not false. Just not required. I should throw it on a schedule, which is there in the app. I just need to fiddle around with it. And I need to make middle of the night alarms, and alarms when I am not home, LOUD on my phone.

· Registered
1,614 Posts

I just ordered two lengths of this, an 8' and a 12'. I chain multiple bikes together so someone would need to steal all the bikes in one go, but I will get a ground anchor installed.

The reason I went for 2 lengths is so I can use them on the bike racks on the car when I need to.

I ordered a roll of nylon sleeve to go over the chain to protect the frames. I'll grab a link and share it when I get a chance.

For me at the moment the worst thing about having bikes stolen would be the complete lack of inventory to replace them!

· Registered
1,310 Posts

Cutting a high security chain with an angle grinder "in the real world" is a **** ton harder than cutting one using a vice in a staged video though. At least 2-3 minutes and a LOT of noise. Two chains and you're at 4-6 minutes. Most thieves want a quick in-and-out.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts

I just ordered two lengths of this, an 8' and a 12'. I chain multiple bikes together so someone would need to steal all the bikes in one go, but I will get a ground anchor installed.

The reason I went for 2 lengths is so I can use them on the bike racks on the car when I need to.

I ordered a roll of nylon sleeve to go over the chain to protect the frames. I'll grab a link and share it when I get a chance.

For me at the moment the worst thing about having bikes stolen would be the complete lack of inventory to replace them!
I believe thieves in my area would get through that like butter with a decent orbital grinder. Maybe I'm wrong though. I hope I am.

· since 4/10/2009
37,141 Posts
Yeah, for sure I'd be looking at some chain or cables. I'm not sure I'd go super overboard here beyond trying to stop the opportunistic thief.

I'd put more of my effort into making sure that I don't leave the garage door open all the time (a system that notifies me if it's open would be handy), and/or into making sure that it's harder to break into the garage itself.

Something simple like this can help prevent the common method of using a coat hanger to pull the emergency release cord (and doesn't violate garage door codes the way the zip tie method does).

Garage Shield - One Door - Garage Door Protection Home Security - Proven Effective Against Intruders - - Amazon.com

There are also locks you can get for garage doors that work with openers. belt and suspenders, right?

The Garage Door Lock | Added Garage Security

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
A Wyze camera is a very cheap way to monitor a space. You don't have to pay for the monitoring service, you can just get alerts, view live and record to SD card (alerts record 12 seconds to free cloud).

Reactions: Shark

· I get knocked down...
293 Posts
I drilled 4 holes for 2 hardened 10mm chain links and used concrete anchor bolts in my garage. Then attached a hardened 10mm chain with lock on them. I used this lock because it won't be hurting the frame finish...much, and due to the payout they give if your bike is stolen.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Forget cables. Chains are where it's at and you need hardened chains if you want to stop theft. Look at motorbike security as well. They have developed wall and floor loops that are concreted / epoxied in and give a robust fixed point.
Cameras are pointless if you aren't watching / asleep / busy / nothing is secured anyway.

· since 4/10/2009
37,141 Posts
A Wyze camera is a very cheap way to monitor a space. You don't have to pay for the monitoring service, you can just get alerts, view live and record to SD card (alerts record 12 seconds to free cloud).

While wifi connected stuff can be good options, it might be worth asking if OP's garage is near enough to OP's apartment. Some places I've lived in the past didn't have the garage spaces all that close by.

· since 4/10/2009
37,141 Posts
Forget cables. Chains are where it's at and you need hardened chains if you want to stop theft. Look at motorbike security as well. They have developed wall and floor loops that are concreted / epoxied in and give a robust fixed point.
Cameras are pointless if you aren't watching / asleep / busy / nothing is secured anyway.
It's important to ask what you're trying to stop. Are you trying to stop pro thieves with angle grinders? Or are you trying to stop a rando walking by, seeing an open garage door, and walking off with unsecured stuff?

I'd argue that cameras are FAR from pointless. I knew someone whose house was broken into something like 3 times in a month or so. After the first breakin, the cops told the people that cameras are the best option, because of the recording capabilities that give them information for an investigation, especially as opposed to an alarm. They said the alarms are what are useless, because the thieves know they have some time after such a system trips, so they can still get off with your stuff. Without cameras recording, the cops don't usually have much information to initiate an investigation. So after the first breakin, the folks I know got cameras. There was a 2nd breakin, and they had footage to give to the police. With that information, the police did eventually catch the thieves and recover a lot of the stolen stuff.

I'm arguing that it's not really worth attempting to stop professional thieves with heavy tools. That's what insurance is for. But that it is worth taking some steps as delaying actions, to make it look like more work than it's worth for the opportunistic thief.

I have Arlo cameras on my house. I have notifications set up, so I don't have to watch the cameras. That's the beauty of modern camera systems.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.