Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving up tomorrow after work. 1st trip to Dville... wondering since I'm leaving 6ish from the East Bay and having never been there...

Google gets me to 49 at Auburn. Looking at the map/satellite, running up 80 then across 89 to 49 looks like it may be faster/less time in the mountains at slower speeds.

What do you suggest for quickest trip time/easiest to get to the campgrounds?

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Ive always gone one of two ways. 49 out of auburn through Grass Valley/Nevada city. The other way is 20 out of Marysville with a left on Marysville Road before you get to Penn Valley.
Depending on where youre coming from in the East Bay though, take the Benecia Bridge and come through Vacaville, I-5 is a mess through downtown Sac right now with construction.

Auburn Route

Marysville Route

·
Registered
751 Posts
22b22 said:
Google gets me to 49 at Auburn. Looking at the map/satellite, running up 80 then across 89 to 49 looks like it may be faster/less time in the mountains at slower speeds.
Using google, if you drag the route so you take 89 instead of 49, it is an extra 50 miles AND minutes. Bright side is that 49 is a gorgeous drive.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
On 49, there is one stretch where you should watch your speed. This little town on the plateau between gorges seems like a speeding trap if I ever saw one (and I think I heard here on MTBR about people getting tickets). For a short stretch, it drops to like 35 or 25 limit. I suggest you heed the signs, as it is not that far, so even at a slow speed you are through it pretty quick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. 49 it is. I just didn't want it to get dark and me to get lost. Having not driven 49 before and seeing that it appears to be a ridge run most of the way, I thought it may be a slow drive. I don't mind going the speed limit on 2 lane roads in unfamiliar territory. I just didn't want to get hosed by darkness due to slower speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.