Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The taste of the water in my camelback bags has convinced me I am not drying and storing them properly.

Carrying a sack full of undrinkable water on my back while I dehydrated on a ride was a bit frustrating.

What is the best way to keep them clean, dry and the water fresh-tasting?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I solved this by inserting a 30cm ruler which I bent in U shape.
This prevents the sides of the bag to stick together and the air can dry the bag.
I only use water. After a ride I empty the bag en blow the tube with a compressor insert the ruler and hang it up so the filling cap is at the bottem.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am beginning to think stuffing a few water bottles into the backpack might even be an improvement. (Usually I can get by with 2 bottles on the frame, but for a long ride in Moab in August this was a necessity. Unfortunately, it still tastes like Moab ground water.)

I wonder if a rinse with hydrogen peroxide would help?

The ruler idea seems like a good one, and I read somewhere else of people storing these in the freezer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dish soap & water after every ride. Rinse well & dry with a hanger. Then once or twice a year I leave a bleach solution in it for a day or two.

·
Tailwind Nutrition
62 Posts
Mix some household bleach with cold water and fill it to the brim. Let it stand for 10 minutes, then turn on its side. Flip on its side again to make sure you've soaked the underside of the cap thoroughly. Rinse with hot water. The chlorine breaks down in heat, so a few rinses in hot water will get rid of any residual bleach.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Depends....

Is the bad taste from lack of cleaning/drying, or is it simply the plastic taste of the container.

Easies way to dry for me has been to take the Camel hose itself on stuff it in the bladder to allow air in, then hang in a window. Otherwise, I always keep it in the fridge.

I've never been able to completely get rid of the plastic taste from the Camel bladders. It lessens with time, and can be masked by adding flavor to the water.

At times I've determined it to be such a hassle that I just used recycled sports drink bottles in the pack (Vitamin water bottles are my favorite).

More recently I just moved on to an Osprey pack - preliminary testing shows no nasty plastic taste from the bird bladder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The taste of the water in my camelback bags has convinced me I am not drying and storing them properly.

Carrying a sack full of undrinkable water on my back while I dehydrated on a ride was a bit frustrating.

What is the best way to keep them clean, dry and the water fresh-tasting?
I put my camel bak bladder in the freezer after each use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Store it in a freezer after every ride. I had a Cemelback but switched to Osprey for a better bladder and mouthpiece. Never had any problems after using the freezer method. If you intend to use it as soon as you pull it out, only keep a little water in it.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Buy some cheap denture cleaning tablets... put in reservoir once a week. Let stand overnight. Then rinse. Store reservoir in fridge.

Problem solved!

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
If it has a bad taste, go 50/50 on the water/bleach soak. if it's just a bad smell, 30/70.

To keep bacteria from building back up, put a squirt of lemon juice in there once a week or two after cleaning and rinsing. Let it sit for ten, then rinse and set up to air dry.

·
Tree Crasher
452 Posts
I rinse mine with hot tap water then straight in the freezer. Been doing this with the same bladder since '97. Occasionally I'll fill it with hot water and a tspn of dishwasher powder, the type for machines. Rinses clean with no aftertaste.

·
Registered
274 Posts
when i had my camelbak i would use the denture tablets it worked well and gave it a minty taste at least for the first fill up then it would start tasting like plastic again.i finally switched to an osprey pack mainly just to downsize the bag. the bladder/water tastes so much better and it is still tasting great after a year and a half. i don't think i would use another camelbak but to be fair i have not tried their new bladders yet.

·
7,758 Posts
Shake with a little baking soda (soak if severe), rinse. Drain and then add a couple paper towels inside to remove moisture and keep it "open". Remove and add new towels if needed. Hang with a dry paper towel inside until next use.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,378 Posts
I put my camel bak bladder in the freezer after each use.
1+ In all those years I never cleaned a single one while using just water besides before using it for the first time.

Reactions: cyclelicious
1 - 20 of 25 Posts