Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, is it to do a lot of hard stops, with good speed?

Or i read somewhere a guy who rode for 10 minutes with the brakes lightly on while riding ??

·
Registered
906 Posts
As I understand it, the Idea is to heat up the pads and burn off oil/grease contaminants leftover from the manufacturing process. However, care must be taken not to overheat the pad and glaze them.

I think you'll get 8 different ways to do this, but here's my strategy:
1: Take the time to get the pads properly adjusted. Park tool's website has a good guide for most brakes
2: I ride around my road for a half hour or so, getting the bike up to 20, then bringing it to a stop. I ride for a bit between to prevent the pads from over heating.
3: Ride. They won't be 100% but they'll be close.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I favor the Big Hill method.

-Find a long/big hill.
-Ride to the top (good workout).
-From a speed of 20+mph ease on the brakes, until down to 5mph.
-Release the brakes until 20+mph is reached again and repeat until at the bottom of the hill.

Never jab the brakes or come to a complete stop.

This way is very effective because you have total control of the bedding process. It is a great way to insure you sintered or metallic pads are fully bedded in.

In my area there are few trail descents long enough to heat the pads enough to transfer sintered or metallic pad material. The method above insures this transfer will happen.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
2clueless said:
or you can just ride the brakes down a mountain, I did that to help my mom bed in her bike. I pedal downhill while riding the brake.
Sometime this glazes the pads over if its steep or fast and they over heat. They will get better, but you will never realize the full braking power with glazed pads

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.