Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has a 1x10 set up with a short cage shimano zee derailleur. When I broke the chain I used the large cog plus two links method ( I made sure to add two not take away ) but my bike still doesn't like being in the 10th cog. Can I add a link and push the pin back in or what?

·
Registered
973 Posts
here's what I use...

on mine...KMC 10CR Missing Link. You can see it a couple links left of the derailleur :thumbsup: the Park MLP-1.2 really works well for this application...it collapses the link for chain removal and expands it for re-installation

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you push a pin back in it'll probably break later. Agree on using a power link.
Absolutely right -- I learned this the hard way. I went from a 38 to a 32 then to a 36-tooth ring, and put some of my KMC take-off links back. It lasted thru a race with lots of climbing in muddy conditions, but then fell apart for no apparent reason when leisurely riding with my wife on a level greenway path.

I've heard that you can mushroom the pin with an anvil and hammer after replacing it, but have never tried it. I ordered a 6-card of Missing Links off eBay or Amazon for about $12.

The Park pliers are great -- I have never been able to get them apart by hand without having bloody fingers before it's all over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.