Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
The trail on the left side of TB road right before it crosses over to 318 is good, lots of open forest. There’s a good tech section in Spence Basin with a creek crossing like the old course, that section should be interesting.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
The trail on the left side of TB road right before it crosses over to 318 is good, lots of open forest. There's a good tech section in Spence Basin with a creek crossing like the old course, that section should be interesting.
On my pre-ride last week, which was my first time on that trail, I walked and crossed to the right of natural routing, with the rock slab. Seems to be a pretty difficult move, trying to maintain speed through the water, then climb that uneven rock with wet tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
On my pre-ride last week, which was my first time on that trail, I walked and crossed to the right of natural routing, with the rock slab. Seems to be a pretty difficult move, trying to maintain speed through the water, then climb that uneven rock with wet tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There was no way with my tires wet, with no water it would be fun, I tried just riding upstream, but it's like quicksand. The far right bypass line doesn't appear to really be "on the trail", but I suspect those with foreknowledge will take this. The attempts at riding should be interesting, with some pro dismount action im sure.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
There was no way with my tires wet, with no water it would be fun, I tried just riding upstream, but it's like quicksand. The far right bypass line doesn't appear to really be "on the trail", but I suspect those with foreknowledge will take this. The attempts at riding should be interesting, with some pro dismount action im sure.
The far right crossing is so much quicker and easier. I was able to ride the main crossing today, but it was hard, and I didn't enter it breathing out my eye balls.

I will look for you on course Saturday, I am on an Orbea Oiz with a Pendrel Racing Kit. For some reason I suspect that we might end up racing around each other.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
The far right crossing is so much quicker and easier. I was able to ride the main crossing today, but it was hard, and I didn't enter it breathing out my eye balls.

I will look for you on course Saturday, I am on an Orbea Oiz with a Pendrel Racing Kit. For some reason I suspect that we might end up racing around each other.
Maybe, I'm recovering from foot surgery in December, I don't think I'll be where I want to be, with limited training, but I'll know I'll have fun no matter what. I'll be on my red 429sl and unmistakeable Alaska Jersey.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Injury's are no fun.

I am entering the race pretty fit, but the temperature and to a lesser extent altitude will be a challenge. I have had 4 rides over 10C this year, does not take a lot to over heat me right now.

And the trails are so different then what I ride at home. That first descent is so sketchy, my wife left me for dead on it the other day. I am not use to trails that fast and that loose.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

Good luck out there. I am going to race this for the first time a few years. 50 for me. Black Epic with Orange Fox fork. Early Bird kit (Grey with yellow circle. BTW.. Hope Catherine does well and cool to see top level pro talent at this event.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Injury's are no fun.

I am entering the race pretty fit, but the temperature and to a lesser extent altitude will be a challenge. I have had 4 rides over 10C this year, does not take a lot to over heat me right now.

And the trails are so different then what I ride at home. That first descent is so sketchy, my wife left me for dead on it the other day. I am not use to trails that fast and that loose.
I see a high of 78 for saturday... and very dry.. that won't be hot... last year's fire on the rim, the high was 92... so, relatively speaking, you are lucky

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Well that was hard. Most unfortunate that the 30 entered the single track before me. I think I passed 300 people today.

Good day though ended up 49th. I cannot complain about that.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
Well that was hard. Most unfortunate that the 30 entered the single track before me. I think I passed 300 people today.

Brutal with the heat, but I survived and finished! Was a bit frustrating descending like you said, but I'm super happy to have finished with no post-surgery issues!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Brutal with the heat, but I survived and finished! Was a bit frustrating descending like you said, but I'm super happy to have finished with no post-surgery issues!
I over heated pretty bad on the last climb. I was moving pretty good and then all of the sudden I was in trouble. Fortunately that was close to the end.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
Well, I rode at the creek really hard like I was going to pin the crossing, which got everyone cheering, then I abruptly stopped, got off my bike, and laid down in the creek :D

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

Nice Job,
I had the same issue with passing. Finished 152nd. They need to start the 30 field at least 30 minutes later (maybe more). I ran into the wave 3 chill pace folks from the top of Sierra Prietta and pass many many riders. I talked to a couple guys in the top 10 and they had the same issue. Except they had faster 30 proof, but effect was similar given speed differential. 30 min might have been enough to ensure the top of 50 merged with the top of 30 rather than the 50 riders merging with 30 riders who were generally slower all across the board.

Also Cathrine did well. Saw her and Haley in the garden party section running nose to tail in 4/5 at the time.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Back on ot....where best to view?🤔
i found a really cool spot to view the pros. Easy walking access, cool rock features and long S bends mean I could watch from one spot for 20 seconds. Garden party near white rock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.