Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old dog..New tricks
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently Living in NH, near the border of VT. Looking to move to VT and thinking about the Burlington Area. We love Burlington, and both of us MTB and Climb. So finding a place that feeds those sports as well as finding like minded people is important to us.

If Burlington area is in fact the place for us to be, any suggestions as to particular area to look for a place to rent.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Waterbury is ideal. Rent is lower than Burlington by a ton, but Burlington is only 20 min up the highway, and montpelier is 12 min down the highway. There's decent food and bars (the alchemist) in town. You are within spitting distance of climbing at bolton, you have tons of biking right there (perry hill in town, all of stowe 10 minutes north, mad river valley 10-15 min south)... Plus, if you ice climb or boulder, you're 20 minutes from the stowe side parking for the notch...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Richmond seems really nice too. OK, there are a lot of nice places here. A lot. But it's sorta up to you how liveable they are. You can get pretty far away from the trappings of modern life pretty fast. If you need some city in your life, you'll want to think about how close you are to a major highway. I live in Morristown and at best I make it into Burlington every couple of months. I like it here. I have friends tat live farther out i the boondocks, and that might get to be a little much when there are no restaurants (or bike shops) even remotely close by.

·
Old dog..New tricks
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet, This is exactly what we're looking for.
We really like the "outskirts" but want to be nearer to a city.
Biggest issue we are having where we are is No climbing gym. Yes we are super close to climbing, bouldering, trad and some sweet bike trails, but the outside weather has been bluntly crap when we have time.
Also, since we just moved to New England from PA, we are looking for people to hang out with. Forums have been helpful with this. We love it here, but craving enrgetic people under the age of 65, but not 5.

OK TMI...I'm such a girl sorry....
Any suggestions as to what areas to look..or apartments, houses, streets to stay away from.
thx

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only climbing gym around is in burlington. But living in Burlington is a royal pain in the ass. Rent is among the worst in the country and there's a super low vacancy rate, so there's no incentive for landlords to fix **** up. On top of that, the climbing gym is a ways away from burlington proper, so if you live in the north end or in town, it can take you 20 minutes to make your way to the gym (which is right near a highway exit) while it would only take 15 minutes from richmond or 20 from waterbury to just fly up the highway to the gym. While there's plenty of cool people in Burlington, there also LOTS of college kids which means that at any given time, most of the town is drunk and trying to hook up with eachother.

Richmond or waterbury will get you better accomodations and closer climbing, biking, skiing without the pain in the ass of having to deal with burlington. I live 45 minutes from burlington, in waterville, and I only bother to go to burlington a few times a year.

·
Old dog..New tricks
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info...
I think having the option to enjoy or not enjoy the city is the way to go.
We've talked lots just since the last few posts and will be venturing the area this weekend.
20 min. from the gym would be a gift. Right now our gym is and hour and ten. Just not close enough.
But do think that we are thinking Richmond, waterbury, etc.
REally appreciate the honest info...

·
Old dog..New tricks
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have decided on Waterbury. Found a nice condo not to far from town. Hoping to move in Thanksgiving weekend. Anybody who wants to fight of the Tryptophan from the turkey is more then welcome to help out

·
Registered
203 Posts
Krash-leen said:
We have decided on Waterbury. Found a nice condo not to far from town. Hoping to move in Thanksgiving weekend. Anybody who wants to fight of the Tryptophan from the turkey is more then welcome to help out
You should check out the Stowe Mountain Bike Club, they maintain the local trails in Waterbury and Stowe and do an outstanding job, new members are always welcome, especially for trail-work sessions - ride Waterbury, you won't be disappointed. I was just riding Waterbury last week, and we stopped to look at some places to climb, i'm not a climber, but ride the new trail and Rasta Man when they reopen next spring, it seems there are good climbing spots there. See you in the Alchemist or the Rez! PK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.