Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Skink Mid.

Currently I'm riding a pair of these resoled with Stealth and they rock. The upper is leather so they're more durable than canvas trainers. More importantly they have nice high tops that cover your ankle and the sole is fairly stiff, not too stiff but enough that you don't get sore arches.

My feet are a funny shape and Vans seems to be the only brand that fit me consistently, so I've had a few...
So far:
TNT 2s (2 pairs, great, but no ankle protection, permanent bruising and scabs)
Bearcats (Sole too soft, sore feet and ripped up too quick)
Prone 2s (sole way too thick, make nice running shoes though)
Half Cabs (Ok)
Old schools (crap, same sole as Bearcats but single layer canvas uppers, rode in them once, never ever again, clipped a rock and it hurt).

BUT. If you can wait a bit (and stomach the looks), the new Shimano AM41 shoes will be better than anything Vans make. I only stopped using Shimano shoes because I went off the top off their sizing.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Warner SPD's :thumbsup:
I wanted a pair of those but got 5'10s instead. Not SPD, but I'll use my pointy-xc shoes when riding clipless and my 5'10s for platforms

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've been riding Straitlines & wearing Vans but no idea of model name. I'm thinking possibly 'Malone'? Had'em for well-over a year and they've held up pretty good. Not too stiff & the sole grips pretty good but slowly getting chewed up. I'll prob look for another pair similiar this winter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup

I think the av series is where I may be going.....been brand loyal for years ever since I was a tike messing around on them skateboards.....ready to go with platforms again and I think that's the ticket.

thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Look up vans mountain edition. Thats what I use. The soul is actually the OTW tread inverted for more grip. The shoe is apparently for mtb use. I use those; so far they have been great. Get the mid top version though, as I purchased the low and wish I had a bit more ankle protection. Lows run 55.00 and the mids are 65.00

When the tread dies, they are getting steath rubber. ( i need some for my climbing shoes anyways...)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I really like my la sportiva approach shoes sticky rubber uber stiff sole and a strong toe. hitting sh*t with your toe doesn't hurt Major plus and leather so waterproofable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts