Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Moots at Speedgoat

I got my Moots at Speedgoat.

Something like $150 and free shipping.

Their posts have nice ratings and Moots has a good customer service reputation.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
Just looking for recommendations on a good ti seatpost and where to buy. All input welcome, thanks!
Flyte Bikes (Airborne) makes one that looks similar to the Moots.

http://www.flyte1.com/soar/janette/store/C_spc.asp

A year ago they were selling them for $80 and that was a good deal, you can still save a little over the Moots but not much. Is the Moots worth the extra $$, that's the question.

Steve

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Their aren’t many choices in Ti posts any more, Moots, Dean BlackSheep, Erikson? they must really like TI posts in Colorado. I had a Dean come apart where the head is pressed into the shaft once I think all the others are welded together. None of them are a value, pure luxury.

I recently broke a Moots post. I slapped it in a box and mailed it back to Moots in about 8 days I got a new post from Moots with a note of apology for the hassle. I doubt you would get that with Airborne/flite.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got a road frame on order with Kent Eriksen with a Ti post, just call him and he'll let you know if he sells them separately.

I was looking for one to gone on my other bike, but he is limited on sizes, but for you mud'n'sweat you should be fine for your Ventana 27.2 as I think all of Kent's bikes have a 27.2 seatpost.

Good luck

·
I just passed you
181 Posts
American Classic

I know Cambria was selling out the American Classic Ti post for $69.99 BIN on Ebay. I don't see any listings anymore, but it may be worth an Email or call to find out. That's VERY cheap, although not as chi-chi as the other brands on this post.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
The head on the Am Classics just suck balls. Granted, I've never used one, only set them up, but....uhg. Can't stand them. I love the Black sheep posts witht the Thomson head. Those are great, but spendy at about $180 or so.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I recently got a ti seatpost too. After lots of comparing/debating I ended up just going with a Moots. They are not that much more $$ than the others and the design has been around a long time. Very happy with it so far.

As is mentioned above, Speedgoat has great prices on the Moots posts. They were out when I wanted to order. I got one from Webcyclery with a Mean Todd coupon -- it was close to the Speedgoat price. Even though I picked it out and ordered it, mine was a XMas gift so I didn't have to lay out the cash for it.

Also, I think Moots only does their seatposts periodically in batches. So you will sometimes find them sold out everywhere.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. I've seen some not so flattering reviews on the AM, so i'm going to look into the moots and the spicer.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have 2 Dean Ti posts, one on my Cross bike and one on my hardtail. I bought them both on E-bay for less than $50.00 each used. Both have been excellent and I couldn't be happier. They are all pretty expensive new and hard to justify. Here is the pricing I found doing a quick search:

Dean: $100, direct from them
Spicer: $125, direct from them
Flyte: $120, direct from them

Prices go up from there for Moots, Black Sheep and Erikson.

·
Registered
469 Posts
American Classic

Definitely not the fanciest of the bunch, but I've had good luck with my American Classic Ti post. I agree with Martini that the seat clamp is a little odd, but I don't find it to be a problem at all: you just need to remember to adjust tilt before tightening the seat down. I had the aluminum version on a road bike and I've got a year on the Ti on the ol' Rig and I've never had a problem.

That said, it's not the lightest Ti post, nor do I think I get as much flex as some of the fancier versions. Still it's cheap (20-30% cheaper than the nearest competitor), and it does smooth out bumps some: I can certainly feel it working.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don't do DEAN

I had used Deans for several years as well as several of my friends. They were great but then we had some problems with breakage. Then we had customer service problems, after months, we got new posts and after that we have had numerous bent or broken posts. Don't know if they've changed suppliers or material but the new ones don't seem to last. They are also very very difficult to deal with as far as customer service. (Beware Willits!! I hope they get that worked out for your sake.)
We've all switched to Moots and they are much nicer, and they actually have customer service (although we haven't needed to call them with any problems)
They also seem to be a better ride and did I mention they're beautiful?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
You need to have a lot of post sticking out of the frame to get the Ti to flex nicely.

My Moots posts work very well for me.... :thumbsup:

R.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.