Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, there are tons out there. I'm using Kool Stop black compound on my rear regular rim and Kool Stop Green pads on my front ceramic (questionable condition of ceramic coating) rim. I've used regular Performance Team brakes (rigid arms, and they seem to be pretty stiff) and swapped them out for LX parallel push V-brakes with Avid Speed Dial levers. I'm not getting stellar performance out of either setup. I'd love to go disc brakes on this bike, but I don't want the weight or dollar penalty.

So who makes the grabbiest brake pads these days?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
pimpbot said:
I know, there are tons out there. I'm using Kool Stop black compound on my rear regular rim and Kool Stop Green pads on my front ceramic (questionable condition of ceramic coating) rim. I've used regular Performance Team brakes (rigid arms, and they seem to be pretty stiff) and swapped them out for LX parallel push V-brakes with Avid Speed Dial levers. I'm not getting stellar performance out of either setup. I'd love to go disc brakes on this bike, but I don't want the weight or dollar penalty.

So who makes the grabbiest brake pads these days?
I've always had good luck with koolstop, but i'm hearing very good things about swissstop pads, but i have not used them as i only have V brakes on my SS, which doesn't get much love:(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kool Stop

I'd recommend the red Kool Stops, but supposedly the ultimate v-brake pads are the dual compound black and orange (in one) pads. I believe you can get them from both WTB and Kool Stop, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kool Stop really manufactures all of them.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used red

SuperBri said:
I'd recommend the red Kool Stops, but supposedly the ultimate v-brake pads are the dual compound black and orange (in one) pads. I believe you can get them from both WTB and Kool Stop, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kool Stop really manufactures all of them.
... Ritchey pads, and was less than thrilled with them. Yeah, the market for V-Brake pads is shrinking like crazy, so I would be surprised if everybody's pads were the same and just re-branded.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
for non-ceramic rims, the koolstop MTB (dual compound) pads are pretty good i think. they tend to squeal when wet, but braking power is good (i've ridden in the rain / snow more than a few times). far better pads than the stock ones that came with my avid sd-3 brakes. more rim-friendly as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts