Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a C-Dale Scalpel with Hutchinson Python tires on it. I live in upstate NY and generally the trails are wet and many times loose. My question to the group is what UST tire is good for wet conditions and is still light weight. I have some panaracer fire xc pros on my other bike and the do great in our conditions, but they are 780 gm per tire, and I wanted to keep my weight down. Let me know what you guys like for those conditions.

Thanks,
Brett

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Ust

For a UST tire, the Michelin XCR Mud works well. The last two I picked up weighed 680 grams.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
used2Bhard said:
For a UST tire, the Michelin XCR Mud works well. The last two I picked up weighed 680 grams.
I can tell you what NOT to use. The Kenda nevegal is a great tire for any conditions that aren't muddy. Mud however sticks to them like glue. I ran hutchinson scorpions for a while and they are good in the wet and light but they wear very quickly. I hear the WTB weirwolf is great in the mud but I don't know about the weight. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would check out the Kenda Kharisma. It was designed for wet muddy conditions and its a light weight racing tire. The Nevegal while an all around tire will accumulated some mud. The Kharisma is quite a bit better in slippery mud than the Python. I have used both.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have ridden a few times upstate NY (Williams Lake, Round Top if you've been there), and the conditions weren't exactly dry.

I use Maxxis Ignitors UST and they provide great traction and cornering ability in those conditions. When you do lose traction (roots, wet rocks) they tend to recover quickly. This is true with any tire, but if you unload the tire just a fraction when going over stuff you know is slippery, it's as if it wasn't there.

I also like the Spiders as they'll do well in those conditions, but they won't be as fast as the Ignitors.

Tires help, but they're not everything. I know someone who rides his pythons in the same conditions like you wouldn't believe...

FWIW I weighed my tires new and they were a hair under 700g.

Maurice

·
Registered
126 Posts
I second the Maxxis Ignigtors. Run them at 25psi and the traction is unreal.
I also run Spiders and while good in the wet, the Ignigtors are better.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.