Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my UST rims, I have been running Hutch Spider 2.1s both front and rear. It's a great tire, but on my other, non-UST rims, I have been using a Kenda 2.1 r and another kenda 2.3 up front. I now much prefer what is usually a larger volume tire with bigger knobs up front and want to try a 2.25 or 2.3 up front on my UST rims (819). I have tried BG up front but just can't get it to hold air so am sticking with UST tires on the UST rims. Seriously considering the Spider 2.3 just because I love the 2.1. Also considering Geax Sturdy and Nokian NBX. Is anyone running the Spider 2.1 r and 2.3 f combo - if so how does it compare to 2.1 f? What are your recommendations for dry conditions with very varied N.Cal terrain?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I didn't like the 2.3 Spyder UST's. They felt kind of baloony to me. I have the Geax 2.25's on there now they are great on the dry stuff, but suck on the wet stuff. The Geax's are big tough tires that can take a hammering. The Spyders were big but the casings are kind of thin. I holed them too many times to fill with air. Overall I was disappointed with the Spyder's.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
woodyak said:
I didn't like the 2.3 Spyder UST's. They felt kind of baloony to me. I have the Geax 2.25's on there now they are great on the dry stuff, but suck on the wet stuff. The Geax's are big tough tires that can take a hammering. The Spyders were big but the casings are kind of thin. I holed them too many times to fill with air. Overall I was disappointed with the Spyder's.
did you try the 2.25 Sturdy up front?

I too am struggling with what to run up front...currently leaning towards Blue Groove UST but only a 2.1. Maybe the Kinetics 2.2, Sturdy 2.25, Nokian NBX 2.3, Vertical pro 2.3, or Schwalbe Big Jim...just dont have experience with any of them in UST???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FoShizzle said:

I too am struggling with what to run up front...currently leaning towards Blue Groove UST but only a 2.1. Maybe the Kinetics 2.2, Sturdy 2.25, Nokian NBX 2.3, Vertical pro 2.3, or Schwalbe Big Jim...just dont have experience with any of them in UST???
I have tried the BG and Vert Pro, but none of the others up front. While the Conti had tons of traction, I just felt it was way too slow . . .nothing to do with the weight, just rolling resistance I guess, although I think I am in the minority here as most seem to dig it. I am veering to the Geax or NBX right now. What about you - have you tried it up front? I just wish I could mount the BG on the 819 without it pis#$ing air.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
spotlust said:
I have tried the BG and Vert Pro, but none of the others up front. While the Conti had tons of traction, I just felt it was way too slow . . .nothing to do with the weight, just rolling resistance I guess, although I think I am in the minority here as most seem to dig it. I am veering to the Geax or NBX right now. What about you - have you tried it up front? I just wish I could mount the BG on the 819 without it pis#$ing air.
I have never had UST rims....I am getting them on my new bike I just ordered which is why I interested in the post.

I am bummed to hear the Blue Groove is having a tough time holding air...that is what my order currently has.

I am thinking I may change to the Schwalbe up front since it is not too heavy and I like Schwalbe non UST tires.....then in the back, perhaps the Nevegal 2.1 or Vertical Pro 2.3?? I wish I had experience....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FoShizzle said:
I have never had UST rims....I am getting them on my new bike I just ordered which is why I interested in the post.

I am bummed to hear the Blue Groove is having a tough time holding air...that is what my order currently has.

I am thinking I may change to the Schwalbe up front since it is not too heavy and I like Schwalbe non UST tires.....then in the back, perhaps the Nevegal 2.1 or Vertical Pro 2.3?? I wish I had experience....
What size tires are you going to be running and in what kind of conditions? If you are going to running 2.1 f and r, then I cannot recommend the Spider enough for dry conditions. My dilemma is just what 2.3 to use although maybe I am making this more complicated than it really is. After all, if I like the Spider then . . .Duh. But of course I have to spend more time thinking about what tires to put on than just riding `em. I just read a review on the Turner site of some guy's first ride on his Spot and he was raving about the Sturdy up front, and I have not heard anything negative about them so far; so definitely leaning in that direction.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
spotlust said:
What size tires are you going to be running and in what kind of conditions? If you are going to running 2.1 f and r, then I cannot recommend the Spider enough for dry conditions. My dilemma is just what 2.3 to use although maybe I am making this more complicated than it really is. After all, if I like the Spider then . . .Duh. But of course I have to spend more time thinking about what tires to put on than just riding `em. I just read a review on the Turner site of some guy's first ride on his Spot and he was raving about the Sturdy up front, and I have not heard anything negative about them so far; so definitely leaning in that direction.
good question....

typically, it is real dry conditions in southern calif with hardpack, misc....but lately not the case. However, this year was a fluke so i am buying for dry conditions.

I loved my Geax Sedona (non UST) I ran so the Sturdy does sound appealing. However, it weighs in at about 930grams (2.25 version) which is too much for my needs on this bike, which is why I am hesitant and will probably take a pass.

The Big Jim 2.25 UST sounds and looks great as a front tire. It is under 800 grams and my guess is while it may not be a big 2.25, it should be ok and the tread pattern looks good for a front.

I am also going to try to find out more about the Kenda Kinetics. It is the biggest UST tire Kenda offers and their front tire version tread pattern looks great, but heavy at just about/under 900 grams so that one is more than likely off my list for this bike.

I like the sounds of the spider though too, especially if it is good in the dry.

And while the Nokian NBX 2.3 looks awesome, it is barely under 1000 grams so no thanks.

I have to wait for the rims to become available for my new build anyway so I will have fun doing research in the meantime.

Note that these are not confirmed weights. I am using what I think is the best source but could be off for sure. But regardless, I still think in general, the Spider, Vertical Pro, and Big Jim are the lighter of the bunch in terms of tires larger than 2.1.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woodyak said:
very interesting . . . what do you mean by "baloony"? Have you tried the Spider 2.1? If so, I would be interested in your comparison b/w the two.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
No, I haven't tried the 2.1's. What I mean by baloony is that the tire is very bouncy. The casing is so thin that the tire kind mushes all over the rim. If it hit stuff with my tire I bounce before my shock can absorb the hit. I can make it feel better by dropping the pressure to about 25 psi but then it feels squirmy and burps air like crazy. It probably wouldn't be so bad on smoother terrain.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
woodyak said:
No, I haven't tried the 2.1's. What I mean by baloony is that the tire is very bouncy. The casing is so thin that the tire kind mushes all over the rim. If it hit stuff with my tire I bounce before my shock can absorb the hit. I can make it feel better by dropping the pressure to about 25 psi but then it feels squirmy and burps air like crazy. It probably wouldn't be so bad on smoother terrain.
good feedback. what about as a tire for single speeding where I wont be riding that gnarly downhill where perhaps some of what you mention would be a factor?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
FoShizzle said:

Yeah, that's what I have on right now. The 2.25 UST's. I had Big Jim UST's front and back but now I have them just on the back. The Geax is so much bigger than the Big Jim that it's silly. What I really like about the Sturdy is that it's big and tough. Most of the other UST tires I've ridden have been too fragile.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
woodyak said:
Yeah, that's what I have on right now. The 2.25 UST's. I had Big Jim UST's front and back but now I have them just on the back. The Geax is so much bigger than the Big Jim that it's silly. What I really like about the Sturdy is that it's big and tough. Most of the other UST tires I've ridden have been too fragile.
Excellent input! Thanks.

I asked Larry to weight the UST Nevegal and Blue Groove 2.1s that I originally put on my build order but I noticed yesterday they were listed on line at 880 grams which sure sounds high. If that is in fact the case, a Geax Sturdy up front sounds like it is the ticket instead of a Blue Groove given that is about the same weight then.

And thanks for noting the size of the Big Jim. I thought it would be a small 2.25 in light of what I have seen before of Schwalbes.

So at this point, it sounds like the Sturdy is the ticket for a front tire and I am know still not sure about the best back tire.

Cheers and thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
woodyak said:
Can you give me some other info on the Sturdy - how well it rolls, corners, brakes, handles rocks, roots, loose stuff?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
spotlust said:
Can you give me some other info on the Sturdy - how well it rolls, corners, brakes, handles rocks, roots, loose stuff?
It rolls about average maybe a little slow because it's big and knobby. The knobbies are real close together. It breaks great and does real well on rocks, roots, and loose stuff. I feel like I can really put the bike on edge when I'm using these tires. The downside of this tire is on wet/slick stuff. It handles mud just fine but it's a pretty slippery tire. I found that dropping the pressure real low in wet stuff helps a bit. This tire is also real good for freeride type stuff. It handles drops and hits so well that it feels like you're getting a bit of extra travel.

I used this tire as a back tire for awhile and it worked well for that. I went with the Big Jim on the back because it has better wet traction and it's a faster tire.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
FoShizzle said:
good feedback. what about as a tire for single speeding where I wont be riding that gnarly downhill where perhaps some of what you mention would be a factor?
The Spyders would probably work real well for a Singlespeed. They roll fast and have good traction. You'd have to play with the air pressure a bit but I think it work pretty well.

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
Try the Schwalbe Albert 2.25 UST.
I've been running them for about a year and love it up front.
Very good traction, solid cornering, great in loose stuff and rocks, ok in mud, high volume makes it feel very cush, a tad heavy.
The BG UST 2.1 is a little faster and liter but not as cush and not quite the same grip.

·
Alpine Rider (Italy)
284 Posts
spotlust said:
here i am, directly from italy :)
i'm using them from years: it's a good rear tire and a fair front tire. compound isn't soft so front grip can't be excellent, for the same reason is quite slippery in the wet. imho nokian gazza dual (knobs ripped off on rocks) and vertical (not very big) are better in the front.
sturdy has a big air volume and it's very durable, traction could be better.
suggested as a rear tire, i'd try another tire in the front.
not suggested as a front tire in wet conditions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would running a Big Jim on the back, and a Fat Albert on the front be a wise decision? Or does it matter with those two tires which one goes where? Does one do something better than the other? I ride in on pretty much everything but mud. I see alot of roots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.