Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ACHOO
4,508 Posts
While 26" wheels served us fine for years, they are on the way out as 27.5 and 29ers arrived.

As disclosed, the fork seals may need replacement, so add that to the cost. Also the tires are commuters, so if you plan on riding trails you'll need to buy different ones.

Not a bad bike for the time, and might serve you well assuming you fit Large, but I'd have trouble buying a 26" these days.

·
Registered
587 Posts
stumpy looks fine to me. You'll need a dropper ($250).
I've now rehabbed four bikes this summer, all 26". Easy to find new and used parts, but you will be learning basic bike maintenance and have to get a $50 toolset and a stand.

here's the latest project which I wrapped earlier today for my daughter. Used a lot of takeoffs from the other projects and built a bare frame to this for $550 all in (includes a not pictured cause it is still shipping basic dropper).
I expect she'll ride this for a couple years , and then move on to something better. Or maybe it'll be all she needs if she decides mtb isn't for her and just wants to go out once or twice a month.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That's a good bike to go for a bike ride. It's missing the dropper post that's de rigeur now and tubeless rims. With the broken fork and slicks, hmm maybe not.

To look for a reasonably current mainstream bike on Craigslist put this search string in, and then find your price tolerance. But these are mostly going to be thousands, not hundreds, because they were $1000+ hard tail / $2000+ full suspension within the last decade

slx|xt|xtr|sx|nx|xo|x0|xo1|x01|xx|xx1|roc*|fox|dvo|dropper large​

In Craigslist searches | is a group of "or" and space is "and" and * is wild card so this means

(slx OR xt OR...) AND large​

and the roc* will pick up most spellings of rockshox and rockhopper

·
ACHOO
4,508 Posts
We've successfully sent the OP into the MTBR Vortex (TM).

Some of us recommended against the bike.

Some of us said the bike was fine.

Some of us recommended stuff to add to the bike without knowing your skills or where you ride.

You're welcome OP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.